Re: Does launching an applet via JNLP work on Linux at all?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. I suggest you break it down to the simplest
    valid files that can display the error.

    1) <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/
    developersguide/syntax.html#applet_desc>
    "The documentBase *must* be provided explicitly
    since a JNLP file is not embedded in an HTML page."
    (Emphasis mine)
    2)
    <java
    version="1.6+"
    href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
    max-heap-size="512m"/>
    The deployJava.js should ensure 1.6 but if you
    want to get technical, the version attribute
    should be 1.6.0_10+. So I'd recommend to change
    that element to..
    <java version="1.6.0_10+"/>
    3) <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
    ...is redundant to a simple test example.

    I was also kind of hoping you'd have the
    initiative to upload your files to some/any
    site, so people with the systems and specs.
    you are suggesting the problem occurs with,
    can test it by simply clicking a link. (sigh)

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2010

  2. On Feb 27, 4:46 pm, "Qu0ll" <> wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > I was also kind of hoping you'd have the
    > > initiative to upload your files to some/any
    > > site, so people with the systems and specs.
    > > you are suggesting the problem occurs with,
    > > can test it by simply clicking a link.  (sigh)

    > I would like very much to do this but I don't have any publicly accessible
    > server lying around so if you could suggest a place to put things I will do
    > it immediately.

    I am always faintly amused/surprised when a
    commercial entity (e.g. the company you work for)
    is unwilling to provide a few bucks for getting
    a publicly available server for testing such things.

    I do not make a point of researching free servers
    any longer (since I am very happy with my current
    host - http://www.cheap-jsp-hosting.com/), but AFAIR
    it is possible to upload stuff to free Google sites.

    But I'll tell you what. Since I have a vested
    interest in seeing this resolved, if you:
    1) Can't find a free server for hosting JNLP applets.
    2) Implement *every* recommendation I made.
    3) Stick it all in a zip with a build file I can run.
    4) Mail that to my gmail address.

    I will be willing to upload it to my pscode.org
    site.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 27, 2010

  3. Based on the advice of Lew and Thomas, I tried again
    to get JNLP applets working in my Ubuntu box.

    Since I was doing this, I decided to install Google
    Chrome before I did anything.

    Then I visited www.java.com (I'm really only interested
    in getting it to work in the JRE, since you can *develop*
    JNLP embedded applets in any recent version of the JDK),
    got totally confused about which exact installer to download,
    and ended up getting 3.

    Had no luck using Sun's instructions to install them,
    geting errors in the console.
    <output>
    Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
    yes
    Unpacking...
    Checksumming...
    Extracting...
    ../install.sfx.5948: 1: ELF: not found
    ../install.sfx.5948: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

    Done.
    </output>

    Then decided to just point Chrome at my existing
    JNLP based applet* (which I had not previously been
    able to test, in its embedded form), and found it
    worked in Chrome! I went as far as checking that
    I could open images using the (JNLP API)
    FileOpenService.

    * Chase the link from
    <http://pscode.org/gifanim/#applet>

    So, to answer your original question.
    *YES* It does work 'at all'.

    It still fails in FF, but I think that is
    hangover problems from before, and to be honest,
    I am not that motivated to try and track down
    what its problems are. I suspect if I downloaded
    and installed FF at this instant, it would work.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 27, 2010
  4. On Feb 27, 8:12 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    >...Then decided to just point Chrome at my existing
    > JNLP based applet* (which I had not previously been
    > able to test, in its embedded form), and found it
    > worked in Chrome!  I went as far as checking that
    > I could open images using the (JNLP API)
    > FileOpenService.
    >
    > * Chase the link from
    > <http://pscode.org/gifanim/#applet>

    For those using Linux and other browser/JRE combos.,
    note that this applet is small (less than 100Kb) and
    sand-boxed. If you go to open images for use in the
    applet, you will be prompted at that moment, as to
    whether you want to allow the applet that ability.
    (But of course, the applet is very pointless if you
    refuse, since it makes animated GIFs from images
    supplied by the user.)

    I'd be interested to hear how some of the other
    Linux based boxes with different browser/JRE combos,
    go with that applet.

    ...Oh, and, probably so would Quoll. ;)

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 27, 2010
  5. Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > Extracting...
    > ./install.sfx.5948: 1: ELF: not found
    > ./install.sfx.5948: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

    On a sidenote, that appears to indicate a broken download.
    (perhaps it wasn't retrieved in binary mode, which I'd have
    actually considered unlikely/impossible from Sun's server.)

    I may have missed something, but since you mentioned an
    ubuntu-box: why not just install package sun-java6-* ?

    Andreas Leitgeb, Feb 27, 2010
  6. On Feb 27, 8:50 pm, Andreas Leitgeb <>
    wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > > Extracting...
    > > ./install.sfx.5948: 1:  ELF    : not found
    > > ./install.sfx.5948: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

    > On a sidenote, that appears to indicate a broken download.
    > (perhaps it wasn't retrieved in binary mode, which I'd have
    > actually considered unlikely/impossible from Sun's server.)
    >
    > I may have missed something, but since you mentioned an
    > ubuntu-box: why not just install package sun-java6-* ?

    You mean as listed in the Synaptic Package Manager?

    Basically because I am an idiot!

    My previous attempt to get Java using the SPM resulted
    in my getting the Open JDK (of which, I could do a lot
    of swearing).

    Might try that route later. Thanks.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 27, 2010
  7. Your follow-up emails had me convinced you had
    sorted the problem. Could you repeat your findings
    here, with a little more detail?

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org