Re: Does Python compete with Java?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jakub Fast, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Jakub Fast

    Jakub Fast Guest

    Thanks for a quick reply!

    > "LISP is over there ==>"
    >
    > Saying, in effect, that it isn't Pythonic.

    Ok, maybe i'm asking for it :), but -- why?

    [i am willing to cease-and-desist asking any further if this is not a
    welcome topic (like: we've discussed it fifty times by now, get a grip)]

    Kuba

    Jakub Fast, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Jakub Fast

    Steve Holden Guest

    Jakub Fast wrote:

    > Thanks for a quick reply!
    >
    >> "LISP is over there ==>"
    >>
    >> Saying, in effect, that it isn't Pythonic.

    > Ok, maybe i'm asking for it :), but -- why?
    >
    > [i am willing to cease-and-desist asking any further if this is not a
    > welcome topic (like: we've discussed it fifty times by now, get a grip)]

    Well, we are deep into the philosophical meaning of "pythonicity" here.
    If you haven't yet typed "import this" into an interactive interpreter
    session you should do so, but pythonicity is a little like the pattern
    gang's "quality without a name".

    It has been discussed, so a determined enough Googling will get you the
    details. I will confine myself to adding only that

    a) Python is intended to be easy to learn, and
    b) Any language construct that requires the lexical
    analyzer to be dynamically modified certainly will
    prove confusing to newcomers.

    The spirit of your contribution is entirely Pythonic, it's just that
    "practicality beats purity", and your ideas are a little impractical for
    a dynamic language like Python (remember, there's little distinction
    between "compile time" and "run time"). Try to treat these limitations
    as small challenges ;-)

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Apr 15, 2004