Re: Does SYFY have any sci-fi left on the channel?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jerry Gerrone, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. On Jan 5, 2:27 am, Dimensional Traveler <> wrote:
    > On 1/4/2011 8:52 PM, Jerry Gerrone wrote:

    > >> If you're writing good structured readable assembly or machine code
    > >> there's nothing better than vi.

    > > Perhaps so. Next time I find myself stranded in the 80s after running
    > > out of unleaded plutonium, I'll keep that in mind. ;)

    > >>   And one never has to take one's hands off the keyboard to reach for a
    > >> mouse.

    > > If one never has any occasion to want to move quickly to an arbitrary
    > > spot in the document (or near the middle of the current line, but not
    > > near the cursor, even) then that may well be true, but it will be just
    > > as true with Notepad, which does, contrary to popular belief, provide
    > > keyboard shortcuts for cut, copy, paste, save, etc.

    > >> I taught myself vi and c back in the early 80s on an old (new at the
    > >> time) 68K based Unix running mini computer (MassComp from
    > >> Massachussets Computer).

    > > Well, back then there really weren't any better alternatives. Now, of
    > > course, we have nice modern IDEs, Java, and suchlike, owing to
    > > superior hardware capabilities, so there's no need to have to struggle
    > > to get things done with such primitive tools anymore. No mouse to jump
    > > around quickly! No menus to see what options are available! No windows
    > > to multitask easily! No scrollbars and nav panes to see where the heck
    > > you are! No context help! No garbage collector! No hypertext! No JIT
    > > compiler! No objects! POINTER ARITHMETIC!!! SIGSEGV!!!
    > > AAAAUUUGGGHHHH!!! :)

    > [insult deleted].  :p

    None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
    all true.

    > (I used to use vi for editing COBOL.)

    Good God, man, that's inhuman! Who subjected you to such an
    experience? Was it the North Vietnamese? I hear they did some truly
    terrible things to American POWs after the war...
    Jerry Gerrone, Jan 5, 2011

  2. Jerry Gerrone

    Guest

    Jerry Gerrone <> writes:

    9> Newsgroups:
    rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer

    9> None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are
    at
    9> all true.

    What do the nasty things said by Dimensional Traveler have
    to do with OS/2, Gerrone?

    9> Good God, man, that's inhuman! Who subjected you to such an
    9> experience? Was it the North Vietnamese? I hear they did some truly
    9> terrible things to American POWs after the war...

    What do your questions have to do with OS/2, Gerrone?
    , Jan 5, 2011

  3. Jerry Gerrone

    Guest

    JoeRaisin <> writes:

    1> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy

    1> What does your question have to do with Science Fiction, tholen?

    What does your question have to do with OS/2, JoeRaisin?
    , Jan 6, 2011