Re: Does using Javascript really cause problems for screen readers - accessability question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by William Tasso, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Titus A Ducksass wrote:
    > Just a thought, I was allways told to avoid using javascript so that
    > the code could be accessable to those using a screen reader - Is this
    > really true? All the books I find that cover accessability do use
    > some javascript.

    using it (javascript) isn't a problem. The important thing is to ensure
    functionality is still present when client side scripting is not available.

    > As a side thought, why is there no news group dedicated to
    > accessability?

    news:alt.html.web-accessibility is sadly undersubscribed but there are good
    folk here that understand the issues.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jul 17, 2003

  2. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:08:45 +0100, "William Tasso" <>
    wrote:

    <snip>
    >using it (javascript) isn't a problem. The important thing is to ensure
    >functionality is still present when client side scripting is not available.

    Is it available to screen readers? / other adaptive technology? If it
    is just turned off then isnt that the problem of the user not the
    supplier???????

    How do I ensure functionality is still present when client side
    scripting is not available?

    What I am thinking of has a very complex menu system that appears on
    over 300 pages that I am trying to simplify so that only a small menu
    appears on each page.

    >> As a side thought, why is there no news group dedicated to
    >> accessability?

    >news:alt.html.web-accessibility is sadly undersubscribed but there are good
    >folk here that understand the issues.

    Damn NTL don't carry it - how do I get them to do so, especially as it
    is a very important issue which will only get more important from Sept
    this year - for education / gov sponsored sites and soon for everyone
    else....

    Titus A Ducksass, Jul 18, 2003