Re: Download in IE and Firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Hosking, Aug 14, 2008.

  1. John Hosking

    John Hosking Guest

    [F'up to a.html]
    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:45:14 -0400, sheldonlg wrote:

    > <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    >>I am top-posting this one time because this in new stuff

    So? New stuff doesn't belong at the top, if it's building on what's already
    in the post you're "replying" to.

    >> and I am leaving
    >>the bottom for reference and description of the problem. I am also adding
    >>comp.lang.php as this is all done in php and there is a remote possiblity
    >>that I have to do something else in php.

    Very remote. But don't lets bother the folks over at c.l.php until the HTML
    actually works and your headers are correct. F'ups set to a.html.

    >> What is sent from php is as follows:
    >>
    >> Headers (done with header calls):
    >> Pragma: no-cache
    >> Expires: 0
    >>
    >> followed by:

    I don't know the correct content-type for an Excel file, but assuming
    you've chosen wisely, why aren't you sending an Excel file as data? What I
    see you sending is some malformed corruption of an HTML table, sort of.
    What do you really expect/want to happen?

    >> These are sent via an echo statement in php.
    >>
    >> I have a sample app www.sheldonlg.com/excel/excel.php

    also with invalid HTML.

    > I have put the php code up in www.sheldonlg.com/excel/excel.doc

    If you had put it up in a .txt file I might (*might*) have looked, although
    it exceeds my basic interest thus far.

    >> This sample app works fine in IE6, IE7, and FF.

    "Works," you say. Okay...

    >> My problem is that on the
    >> actual app, which is behind a firewall accessible only over VPN, I get the
    >> errors listed in the original post (below) for IE6 and IE7. FF is
    >> perfect.

    My guess is that you have different file associations depending on your
    browser environments. But I do not truly know.

    >> Does anyone have any ideas on how to track down this bug? I am looking
    >> for an approach. (A solution would be even better :), but that is like
    >> asking for the moon).

    Well, imperfect though it is, it seems that you have given us the part that
    *isn't* causing the problem. So maybe you need to look, er, not-here (but
    still address the problems I mentioned). What's the _difference_ between
    this sample here and your live page?

    GL.

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/
    John Hosking, Aug 14, 2008

  2. John Hosking

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > Well, imperfect though it is, it seems that you have given us the part that
    > *isn't* causing the problem.

    How else do you think sheldonlg is going find material to fill up his
    hugely long posts?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 14, 2008