Re: Downloading multiple MP3 files and executing a iTunes launch

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andreas Leitgeb, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. the_wah <> wrote:
    > why? it seems that we have users that cannot possibly comprehend
    > downloading each file separately.

    Could it be they just lack motivation to download the rest?

    Or does your site make downloading too complicated, requiring
    too much extra (click-)work on user's side? How many separate
    mp3s are there?

    Most people have no difficulties at all comprehending the download
    of lots of (illegally published) music-mp3s ;-)

    PS: offering a zip-file containing all the mp3 in one file for
    convenience (additionally to the separate ones) may still be
    a good idea.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Jul 10, 2008

  2. Andreas Leitgeb

    Nigel Wade Guest

    the_wah wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Andreas Leitgeb <> wrote:
    >
    >> the_wah <> wrote:
    >> > why? it seems that we have users that cannot possibly comprehend
    >> > downloading each file separately.

    >> Could it be they just lack motivation to download the rest?
    >>
    >> Or does your site make downloading too complicated, requiring
    >> too much extra (click-)work on user's side? How many separate
    >> mp3s are there?
    >>
    >> Most people have no difficulties at all comprehending the download
    >> of lots of (illegally published) music-mp3s ;-)
    >>
    >> PS: offering a zip-file containing all the mp3 in one file for
    >> convenience (additionally to the separate ones) may still be
    >> a good idea.

    > you are right. all the "answers" you have given are ones that i have
    > given to the "clients", myself.
    >
    > these "abstracts" are going to be downloaded by medical professionals.
    > we are trying to make it as easy as possible to download all chapters
    > relating to any of the publications we publish, load them into itunes,
    > and crank up itunes for the end-user to listen to.
    >
    > it IS much like a shopping cart full of mp3's!
    >
    > placing all the files into a zip-file is one too many steps for them. i
    > understand that most users are NOT that clueless as what to do, but
    > believe me when i tell you, there are STILL quite a few out there! we
    > want to do away with that (at least for this company).

    Why use MP3? Why not a podcast?

    From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1597:

    "What is an enhanced podcast?
    An enhanced podcast can include chapter marks and photos. When you play an
    enhanced podcast in iTunes, a menu icon appears to the left of the display at
    the top of the iTunes window."

    It would seem to me that you could include all the chapters within a single
    podcast.

    P.S.

    Does this have anything to do with Java?

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Jul 10, 2008

  3. the_wah <> wrote:
    > these "abstracts" are going to be downloaded by medical professionals.

    There are roughly three categories of computer-literacy:
    1.) computer literates
    2.) computer illiterates
    3.) professionals in other fields. :)

    Probably, you're right in that downloading multiple files
    actually beats the computer-related skills of the third group.

    Anyway, a real solution to this problem is probably not going
    to use Java, so you probably better search for help in other
    groups that deal with flash-apps or iTunes or JavaScript (which
    hasn't got anything to do with java, despite the name).
    Andreas Leitgeb, Jul 10, 2008