Re: Dreamweaver or frontpage

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 03:51:08 -0000, Abdullah Kahn wrote:

    > Which one do I need to buy ? Which is the best ?? Price doesn't matter , I
    > am prepared to pay for a good progran.
    >
    > TIA

    save your money and use notepad.
    Plenty of free programs to use as decent html editors.
    Dreamweaver is bloatware and frontpage just plainly sucks.

    richard, Nov 18, 2010

  2. richard

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Abdullah Kahn" wrote in message

    > What do the professionals use ?? Do they do all of the coding or use
    > dreamweaver ?

    You can sometimes look at the source code for professional-looking websites
    similar to what you want to see what was used to create the HTML. For a
    full-featured website you will probably need JavaScript or the equivalent
    for dynamic pages, and it will almost certainly also involve CGI which may
    be written in Perl or PHP or the like, and also a server-side database which
    may be MySQL or SQLite. There are separate newsgroups for all of these tools
    and it is probably the equivalent of a four year college experience to
    become fluent in all these.

    I have learned enough in a few months of effort to create useful websites
    with bits and pieces of all these tools, but I had previous experience with
    simple HTML and some programming and database experience, so JavaScript,
    Perl, and SQLite were mostly just learning the syntax and quirks of a new
    language.

    Many people have recommended WordPress and I have also done a little bit
    with DotCMS. These are content management applications that allow you to
    build a website rather quickly, but you are somewhat constrained by the
    canned modules you must use. I like the challenge of building things from
    scratch, but I have also relied heavily on other websites as examples, and
    code snippets I have found online, and the help of many kind and patient
    folks on newsgroups. Newbies with "dumb" questions are not usually well
    received, so you will need to make a lot of effort on your own before asking
    for and expecting help.

    Good luck.

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Nov 18, 2010

  3. On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:27:58 +0000, Abdullah Kahn wrote:

    > What do the professionals use ?? Do they do all of the coding or use
    > dreamweaver ?

    Me?

    I use a basic programmer's editor... though which one I use kind of
    depends at that particular moment.

    Jedit has a nice HTML reformat plugin, as well as the ability to reindent
    Javascript.

    On the other hand, Notepad++ is zippy on my Eee 701.

    Jeremy J Starcher, Nov 18, 2010
  4. On 2010-11-18 07:27:58 +0000, Abdullah Kahn said:

    > What do the professionals use ?? Do they do all of the coding or use
    > dreamweaver ?

    I'm not a professional but the people I know who make websites for a
    living use a variety of programs.

    I do quite like Dreamweaver but in fact I use a text edtior called
    BBEdit on my Mac for most things.

    I think the issue behind your initial question is not "which program"
    but rather that you really do need to apply yourself to learning HTML
    and CSS to make good websites.

    Fortunately HTML and CSS are quite easy to learn. They are designed to
    be so and you will enjoy the experience of learning them.

    So, I think the best way to start with creating websites is to use a
    simple text editor and get a book or two.

    There are loads of good books around and lots of good info on the web
    of course.
    --
    Patrick

    Patrick James, Dec 13, 2010
  5. richard

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:47:59 +0000, Patrick James wrote:

    > On 2010-11-18 07:27:58 +0000, Abdullah Kahn said:
    >
    >> What do the professionals use ?? Do they do all of the coding or use
    >> dreamweaver ?

    > I'm not a professional but the people I know who make websites for a
    > living use a variety of programs.
    >
    > I do quite like Dreamweaver but in fact I use a text edtior called
    > BBEdit on my Mac for most things.
    >
    > I think the issue behind your initial question is not "which program"
    > but rather that you really do need to apply yourself to learning HTML
    > and CSS to make good websites.
    >
    > Fortunately HTML and CSS are quite easy to learn. They are designed to
    > be so and you will enjoy the experience of learning them.
    >
    > So, I think the best way to start with creating websites is to use a
    > simple text editor and get a book or two.
    >
    > There are loads of good books around and lots of good info on the web
    > of course.

    I agree about the book and I use MS Expression Web (the successor to
    Frontpage). However Komposer is worth a look. It's free, but not always
    accurate, which is where the book comes in handy.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Dec 13, 2010
  6. richard

    notbob Guest

    On 2010-12-13, Patrick James <> wrote:
    > living use a variety of programs.
    >
    > I do quite like Dreamweaver......

    Dreamweaver has one major feature that's incredibly helpfull to new
    html coders, like myself. When the first tag of an element is
    completed, a cursor menu automatically pops up with a list of all the
    attribute options. This is very helpful to noobs who are still
    learning the code. Also, other features, like auto completion and
    closing tag insistance make it easier for us noobs. I, being a linux
    user, use the KDE desktop and its Quanta+ editor, which is very
    similar to Dreamweaver.

    nb

    notbob, Dec 13, 2010
  7. On 2010-12-13 15:50:44 +0000, notbob said:

    > Dreamweaver has one major feature that's incredibly helpfull to new
    > html coders, like myself. When the first tag of an element is
    > completed, a cursor menu automatically pops up with a list of all the
    > attribute options. This is very helpful to noobs who are still
    > learning the code. Also, other features, like auto completion and
    > closing tag insistance make it easier for us noobs. I, being a linux
    > user, use the KDE desktop and its Quanta+ editor, which is very
    > similar to Dreamweaver.

    Hi

    Yes I agree these things are very useful.

    I only know text editors for the Mac, but I will mention that I think
    that you can find features a bit like this in some of those text
    editors. I am sure this is also the case with PCs.

    I have Dreamweaver because I do some work for a university and this
    means that I am able to buy the whole Adobe suite for very low money.
    At the student/academic rate I think it is a good deal.

    --
    Patrick

    Patrick James, Dec 13, 2010
  8. richard

    notbob Guest

    On 2010-12-13, Patrick James <> wrote:

    > means that I am able to buy the whole Adobe suite for very low money.
    > At the student/academic rate I think it is a good deal.

    Lucky you! I remember when it was by Macromedia and only cost about
    $150. Now that Adobe has it, it's up around $300, street. Adobe's
    blatant greed is absolutley appalling. Thank goodness for Linux.

    I use Quanta Plus, which has most of the better features of
    Dreamweaver, but is free. On the downside, Quanta Plus is only for
    Linux. If you have a Mac or PC, you can get Quanta Gold, a pay-for
    version, but it's still only a paltry $40.

    nb

    notbob, Dec 13, 2010
  9. notbob wrote:
    > On 2010-12-13, Patrick James<> wrote:
    >
    >> means that I am able to buy the whole Adobe suite for very low money.
    >> At the student/academic rate I think it is a good deal.

    > Lucky you! I remember when it was by Macromedia and only cost about
    > $150. Now that Adobe has it, it's up around $300, street. Adobe's
    > blatant greed is absolutley appalling. Thank goodness for Linux.
    >
    > I use Quanta Plus, which has most of the better features of
    > Dreamweaver, but is free. On the downside, Quanta Plus is only for
    > Linux. If you have a Mac or PC, you can get Quanta Gold, a pay-for
    > version, but it's still only a paltry $40.
    >
    > nb

    You must be a lot older than me. My first Copy of DreamWeaver MX2004
    cost about $650.00. Then I got next version upgrade for about 200.00
    Finally just before Acrobat took over I got the Studio-8 Package as an
    upgrade to next version for about $250.00.

    I'd love to upgrade to Studio-8's successor but I need an Intel Mac
    First. Then to come up with the 1K or more for the upgrade. The Flash
    application doesn't interest me. But the The Flash application and
    DreamWeaver Applications do.

    --
    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
    http://www.phillipmjones.net/ mailto:p

    Phillip Jones, Dec 13, 2010
  10. richard

    notbob Guest

    On 2010-12-13, Phillip Jones <> wrote:

    > You must be a lot older than me.

    DOH!!

    I'm older, alright. So old, I've been having a day-long geezer
    moment! All this time I've been thinking Dreamweaver when I really
    meant Homesite, an html editor which Adobe abandoned last year. Sorry
    about that, everyone. :(

    nb

    notbob, Dec 14, 2010