Re: drop down

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gufus, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Gufus

    Gufus Guest

    Hi dorayme,

    Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:

    > Well, I think he might have meant the way the diagonal rects
    > overlap the pic to the left (especially on enlarging text).

    I still respect your opinion...

    So, I wanted to keep my (back ground) it's like a (water stamp) so I faded it
    right out. It's easer to read *.txt now.

    What ya think now?

    http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html

    --
    K Klement

    Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
    mailto:
    Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

    .... Buy a Macintosh? Why? I already have a paperweight.

    Gufus, Mar 31, 2006

  2. Gufus

    mbstevens Guest

    Gufus wrote:
    > Hi dorayme,
    >
    > Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:

    > > Well, I think he might have meant the way the diagonal rects
    > > overlap the pic to the left (especially on enlarging text).

    > I still respect your opinion...
    >
    > So, I wanted to keep my (back ground) it's like a (water stamp) so I faded it
    > right out. It's easer to read *.txt now.
    >
    > What ya think now?
    >
    > http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html

    The little flashing "Visit" notices are worse than "click here" links.
    They absolutely drive me up the wall. And it takes a long time to
    interpret what the "Credits" (in the same position but doesn't go away)
    refers to. Putting everything on a diagonal is visually weak. Just
    do things in a straightforward way, kill all that javascript, and save
    all that originality for your content and images.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com

    mbstevens, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Gufus

    Gufus Guest

    Hi mbstevens,

    Friday March 31 2006, mbstevens writes to Gufus:

    > From:
    > The little flashing "Visit" notices are worse than "click
    > here" links.
    > They absolutely drive me up the wall. And it takes a long

    Don't like that Eh... some people just like a web site with out any bell's and
    animations, and some like a few tricks. Myself I like a few bells, but not
    much animation.

    > diagonal is visually weak. Just do things in a
    > straightforward way, kill all that javascript, and save all

    Don't like the diagonal effect either. :(

    Thanks for your opinion.

    --
    K Klement

    Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
    mailto:
    Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

    .... Be careful! Is it classified?

    Gufus, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Gufus wrote:
    > Hi mbstevens,
    >
    > Friday March 31 2006, mbstevens writes to Gufus:
    >
    > > From:
    > > The little flashing "Visit" notices are worse than "click
    > > here" links.
    > > They absolutely drive me up the wall. And it takes a long

    > Don't like that Eh... some people just like a web site with out any bell's and
    > animations, and some like a few tricks. Myself I like a few bells, but not
    > much animation.
    >
    > > diagonal is visually weak. Just do things in a
    > > straightforward way, kill all that javascript, and save all

    > Don't like the diagonal effect either. :(
    >
    > Thanks for your opinion.

    Actually design-wise mbstevens is correct, it still does not work. Your
    logo does not read as a watermark and competes with the overlay text.
    One fundamental rule with respect to graphic design is that whatever it
    is it must look intensional, no ambiguity, if it looks like a mistake it
    is a mistake.

    I would say that your loco is not suitable as a watermark and here is
    why. Your logo is comprised of words, and as such for literate people
    when one see words we unconsciously try to 'read' them. A watermark on
    the other hand is image or pattern that is supposed to be subtly,
    indistinct, faded to the point where it is barely legible so as not to
    obscure the text on top. Therefore a watermark is best not to be words.

    Now, technically speaking (although accepting advise has not been your
    strong suite here), new design should not be

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    And all the JavaScript rollovers could easily be done with CSS

    Deprecated elements and attributes should not appear in new work

    Dump the layout tables...

    Lastly, what I first said about design and ambiguity, your blue gradient
    rectangular graphic 'links' and then you stick one that looks like you
    links but is not. The Credits one is bad design because of the ambiguity
    thing. This is like and architect designing a building with 5 doors on
    the front entrance, but *one* is *not* a real door!

    Not just trying to trash you here his is my honest professional option.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Gufus

    dorayme Guest

    In article <134.z1.fidonet.org>,
    (Gufus) wrote:

    > Hi dorayme,
    >
    > Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:

    > > Well, I think he might have meant the way the diagonal rects
    > > overlap the pic to the left (especially on enlarging text).

    > I still respect your opinion...

    Was there a misgiving of any kind to make you say this or use the
    word "still"?

    > So, I wanted to keep my (back ground) it's like a (water stamp) so I faded it
    > right out. It's easer to read *.txt now.
    >
    > What ya think now?
    >
    > http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html

    > --
    > K Klement

    > ... Buy a Macintosh? Why? I already have a paperweight.

    At this url, the "Gypsy Designs" img did not appear faded on my
    browsers (all used on my "paperweight" machines. btw, do you make
    your own one-liners?).

    Perhaps you could modify the pink colour at the top to be a bit
    quieter, you never know how much your visitor drank last night,
    quieter is safer... Why not keep to the blue?

    Seriously, I don't really understand this design at all? Have you
    seen what it does when the browser text is enlarged a bit or a
    lot? It looks very messy to my eye. Sorry.

    There seems to be no point to all this fancy img replacement
    javascript? Your huge rectangles have one function, to make the
    word "Visit" appear next to text links? I can tell you for sure
    that the more intelligent the viewer, the more this will irritate
    them.

    Why not forget all this and just use the text, simple css hover
    to say make the text change colour or (not really good generally
    but simple enough) bigger or bolder.

    There, respect that, Gufus!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Gufus

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <5LiXf.10798$>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > Gufus wrote:
    > > Hi dorayme,
    > >
    > > Thursday March 23 2006, dorayme writes to Gufus:

    > > > Well, I think he might have meant the way the diagonal rects
    > > > overlap the pic to the left (especially on enlarging text).

    > > I still respect your opinion...
    > >
    > > So, I wanted to keep my (back ground) it's like a (water stamp) so I faded
    > > it
    > > right out. It's easer to read *.txt now.
    > >
    > > What ya think now?
    > >
    > > http://www.gypsy-designs.com/example2.html
    > >

    > The little flashing "Visit" notices are worse than "click here" links.
    > They absolutely drive me up the wall. And it takes a long time to
    > interpret what the "Credits" (in the same position but doesn't go away)
    > refers to. Putting everything on a diagonal is visually weak. Just
    > do things in a straightforward way, kill all that javascript, and save
    > all that originality for your content and images.

    You see Gufus! What did I tell you? I just posted my last and now
    read this. And, in case you don't know, mbstevens is one of the
    folk I was referring to as likely to be (rightly) irritated.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Gufus

    Neredbojias Guest

    >> I still respect your opinion...

    > Was there a misgiving of any kind to make you say this or use the
    > word "still"?

    I suspect he suspects that your remark prior to his suspect respect one
    is suspect but has enough respect not to expedite his suspicions onto
    the specter of the suspect party.

    --
    Sigless but not Cigless

    Neredbojias, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Gufus

    Gufus Guest

    Gufus, Apr 1, 2006
  9. Gufus

    dorayme Guest

    In article <9bfe3$442e4f55$43888f32$>,
    Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    wrote:

    > >> I still respect your opinion...

    > > Was there a misgiving of any kind to make you say this or use the
    > > word "still"?

    > I suspect he suspects that your remark prior to his suspect respect one
    > is suspect but has enough respect not to expedite his suspicions onto
    > the specter of the suspect party.

    This reminds me of some of the sentences used by Nigel Hawthorne
    in Yes, Minister

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 2, 2006
  10. Gufus

    Neredbojias Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <9bfe3$442e4f55$43888f32$>,
    > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>

    >>> Was there a misgiving of any kind to make you say this or use the
    >>> word "still"?

    >> I suspect he suspects that your remark prior to his suspect respect one
    >> is suspect but has enough respect not to expedite his suspicions onto
    >> the specter of the suspect party.

    > This reminds me of some of the sentences used by Nigel Hawthorne
    > in Yes, Minister

    Nigel Hawthorne...? Must be a Brit by the name. Actually never heard
    of the chap but if he's anything like Nice Guy Nige, the world is a
    better place that this is so.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice King

    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2006
  11. Gufus

    dorayme Guest

    In article <8ba10$442f3ce4$43888f29$>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <9bfe3$442e4f55$43888f32$>,
    > > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>

    > >> I suspect he suspects that your remark prior to his suspect respect one
    > >> is suspect but has enough respect not to expedite his suspicions onto
    > >> the specter of the suspect party.

    > > This reminds me of some of the sentences used by Nigel Hawthorne
    > > in Yes, Minister

    > Nigel Hawthorne...? Must be a Brit by the name. Actually never heard
    > of the chap

    Truth be known, he is Arthur Winslow, father of Ronnie Winslow
    who was accused of stealing and sacked from the British Royal
    Naval Academy, big news early last century and a marvelous
    production, The Winslow Boy; Mamet, the playwright and screenplay
    writer...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 2, 2006
  12. Gufus

    Neredbojias Guest

    With minimal quibbling or quipping, dorayme quacked:

    > In article <8ba10$442f3ce4$43888f29$>,
    > Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article <9bfe3$442e4f55$43888f32$>,
    >>> Neredbojias <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>

    >>> This reminds me of some of the sentences used by Nigel Hawthorne
    >>> in Yes, Minister

    >> Nigel Hawthorne...? Must be a Brit by the name. Actually never heard
    >> of the chap

    > Truth be known, he is Arthur Winslow, father of Ronnie Winslow
    > who was accused of stealing and sacked from the British Royal
    > Naval Academy, big news early last century and a marvelous
    > production, The Winslow Boy; Mamet, the playwright and screenplay
    > writer...

    David Mamet? If so, he did a wonderful movie whose name eludes me at
    the moment but which hinged around something called "The Process".

    So, did "Arthur Winslow" change his name to "Nigel Hawthorne" because of
    the stigma of his larcenous son or did he just get tired of being called
    "Arty" perhaps?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Apprentice King