RE: duck typing assert

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andriy Kornatskyy, Nov 8, 2012.

  1. Ian,

    Thank you for the comments.

    There is definitely a room for improvement, however there are limits. Oneof them is related to decorator that replaces decorated method arguments with something like *args, **kwargs. Here is an example.

    def x():
        def decorate(m):
            def x(*args, **kwargs):
                pass
            return x
        return decorate

    class Foo(object):

        @x
        def bar(self, a):
            pass

    Another one challenge is related to inheritance, or even more complex case: multiple inheritance. I do not believe there is a need to scan whole hierarchy, better apply checks separately, the assert will be more readable.

    class IFoo(object):
        def foo(self):
            pass

    class IBar(IFoo):
        def bar(self):
            pass

    class Bar(IBar):
        def foo(self):
            pass

        def bar(self):
            pass

    assert looks(Bar).like(IBar)
    assert looks(Bar).like(IFoo)

    I agree, special methods __?__ should not be considered private... but what is right: know which one are special (how about some custom? e.g. __ctx__) or enforce check for it by explicitly asking for such check?

    # 1
    assert looks(Foo).like(IFoo, notice=['__len__'])
    # 2
    assert looks(Foo, notice=['__len__']).like(IFoo)

    I believe if IFoo.foo is decorated as property, it must remain property, otherwise you need exclude it from checks, thus this way you pay codereviewer attention to that.

    Thanks.

    Andriy Kornatskyy

    Andriy Kornatskyy, Nov 8, 2012