Re: Dumping web report data into Excel

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "SM" <> wrote in message

    > How do we accomplish the task of producing an excel file with multiple
    > tabs
    > ? Have anybody had encountered this type of requirement and implemented an
    > acceptable solution?

    Two obvious solutions spring to mind:

    1) Use XML. Excel, like most of the Office suite of apps, can use XML as its
    file format. The schema is readily available from the Microsoft website.
    Take an existing Excel workbook and save it in XML format - you'll see
    fairly quickly how it's constructed.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=GGLG,GGLG:2006-28,GGLG:en&q=Excel XML schema

    2) Use this: http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Cells/Default.aspx

    Under no circumstances contemplate using automation of Excel (or any of the
    other Office products) under ASP.NET.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

    Mark Rae, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "SM" <> wrote in message

    > dump into different excel tabs of the same file.

    So how are you doing that if not through automation...?

    There's loads of them in Google and the MSDN library...

    Mark Rae, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "SM" <> wrote in message

    > This is what we are thinking. Prepare the data in say html table format
    > and
    > render that in excel to the client. Html to have all the style details
    > such
    > as color of the rows . Dumping it into one excel tab is easy . However ,
    > we
    > haven't done it dumping into multiple tabs of the same excel file.

    OK.

    > Or is there any other solution available for the above mentioned
    > requirement.

    I've already given you two possible solutions, both of which will do
    *precisely* what you require, without resorting to automation.

    The first one is free, but will require a bit of work on your part.

    The second one is not free, but will require very little work on your part.

    Not sure what more I can tell you...

    Mark Rae, Dec 19, 2006