Re: Eclipse Carriage Return Workaround

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fabio Zadrozny, Dec 19, 2009.

  1. On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Fabio Zadrozny <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Steve Holden <> wrote:
    >> I've written a Python 3 course that uses an Eclipse-based teaching
    >> system. The school is telling me that their version of Eclipse/pydev
    >> appears to have an input() function that appends a carriage return
    >> character to the user's input. This makes several things go screwy, as
    >> it's definitely not the way the standalone interpreter works, even on
    >> Windows.
    >>
    >> Can anyone think of a simple way work around this issue by overriding
    >> __builtins__.input() with a function that calls input() and then returns
    >> an rstrip()ped version of the input string? I though of setting a
    >> PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable, but that only affects interactive
    >> interpreter instances.

    > In my opinion that's a python bug (because it should be able to remove
    > the \r\n and not only \n).
    >
    > Anyway, Pydev also had that problem and it was fixed by having a
    > custom sitecustomize.py:
    >
    > See: http://github.com/aptana/Pydev/tree/master/plugins/org.python.pydev/PySrc/pydev_sitecustomize/
    >
    > It just has to added to the pythonpath before the run (and it'll
    > remove itself and call the default later on) -- the only catch is that
    > it has to be on a folder called "pydev_sitecustomize" -- you can
    > probably change the code if you don't want to follow that.
    >
    > It'll fix input(), raw_input() and will also fix encoding problems
    > when writing non ASCII to the console (you may set a
    > 'PYDEV_CONSOLE_ENCODING' in the environment or let it try to find a
    > default on) -- should be compatible with python 2 or 3.

    I just noted that you said they are already using pydev -- maybe it's
    an old version? Or maybe you're doing a custom launcher that overrides
    the usual pythonpath and for some reason is not passing the
    pydev_sitecustomize folder?

    Cheers,

    Fabio

    Fabio Zadrozny, Dec 19, 2009