    Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:56:21 +0200
    From: Miki Tebeka <>
    Subject: Re: ELF object file analysis tool in Python?

    Hello John,

    > I already googled and only turned up some references dating from 2000.
    > Anybody know of any current Python tool that can open up and dissect
    > information from an ELF (Executable and Linking Format) object file? I

    don't
    > care about machine language stuff, but goodies like what sources were used
    > in the compile, and what routines are used.

    Just parse the output of `objdump -g'. Note that some compiler (such as
    MSVC) save the debug information in a different file (.pdb).

    HTH.
    Miki

    John Benson, Mar 6, 2004

  2. John Benson

    Bob Ippolito Guest

    I've done this for the Mach-O object file format.. it didn't take me
    too long, I can't imagine ELF would be much harder. I actually wrote
    mine such that I could read *and write* Mach-O headers, so I could
    dynamically inspect and change load commands (used for dependency
    walking and distribution stuff).

    -bob

    Bob Ippolito, Mar 7, 2004