Re: Email client in Pyhton

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Ekstrand, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:15:01 +0530 (IST)
    wrote:
    > now i am planning to write a bear minimum email client in
    > pyhton. i found the smtp module of python could serve my
    > pupose. I can send message using mails using the smtp lib.
    > Now i'm looking for some modules which can help me in
    > fetching the mails from the mailserver and managing folders.

    Check out the POP and IMAP modules (poplib and imaplib), the email
    package, and the mailbox and mhlib modules (all in the standard
    library). I seem to recall seeing a maildir module somewhere, but can't
    find it now. IIRC, many of the mailbox modules (such as mailbox and
    mhlib) are read-only, but they should provide a good starting point.

    > I also look for some existing mail client, written in python
    > which wud serve my cause.

    Mahogany Mail isn't written in Python, but it uses wxWidgets and has an
    embedded Python interpreter.

    A quick Google for "python email client" (sans quotes) revealed the
    following useful links:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-August/177139.html

    -Michael

    Michael Ekstrand, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Michael Ekstrand

    Oren Tirosh Guest

    > IIRC, many of the mailbox modules (such as mailbox and
    > mhlib) are read-only, but they should provide a good starting point.

    The mailbox module has recently been upgraded for full read-write
    access by a student participating in google's Summer of Code. It is
    currently under review for inclusion in the standard library.

    Oren Tirosh, Aug 26, 2005

  3. On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:28:33PM -0700, Oren Tirosh wrote:
    > The mailbox module has recently been upgraded for full read-write
    > access by a student participating in google's Summer of Code. It is
    > currently under review for inclusion in the standard library.

    Yeah. I'm the student. :)

    The OP may be interested in the project Web site, with documentation and
    a pointer to the source in Python CVS: http://gkj.freeshell.org/soc/

    --
    Gregory K. Johnson

    Gregory K. Johnson, Aug 26, 2005