Re: Email parsing library

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mike Schilling, May 26, 2009.

  1. Spud wrote:
    > I need some code that will split out and recognize common things in an
    > RFC 2822 email: headers, body text, quoted sections, signature blocks,
    > mime attachments.
    >
    > It's not difficult to write a simple header/body parser, but
    > recognizing when text is quoted from a previous email or text is part
    > of a signature block is non-trivial. It also turns out to be
    > deceptively difficult to split out email addresses on the to/from
    > lines accurately. A good solution will likely involve some heuristics
    > and possibly some machine learning to get decent accuracy.
    >
    > Does anyone know of such a library?

    Mail clients know how to do these things (more or less well). Are there any
    open source Java mail clients?

    Mike Schilling, May 26, 2009

  2. Mike Schilling wrote:
    > Mail clients know how to do these things (more or less well). Are there any
    > open source Java mail clients?

    Well, there's Grendel:
    <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla.org/grendel/grendel-src-19990514.tar.gz>,
    but (as the URI suggests), it hasn't been supported or touched in years.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, May 27, 2009