Re: Email Read Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    "Dan Whitaker" <> wrote in message

    > I know that several email systems have a provision for being notified
    > when the recipient(s) open/read email that you send to them. Some email
    > systems don't have that fearure. Is there any convenient way to do that
    > with some HTML funcrtion or a combination of functions such as perhaps
    > "MAILTO:" and a JavaScript to automatically respond without the
    > recipient doing anything? Like maybe a JavaScript that would do the
    > MAILTO: without any recipeint intervention?

    What? You want to run javascript and unreliable things like mailto (which
    only launghes an email client anyway, when it works) on an unspecified email
    client? Well, it's not going to happen.

    > Thanks for any help or advice.

    Stop wanting this?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 27, 2003

  2. rf

    Dan Whitaker Guest

    Gee thanks Richard. Downright unfriendly you are. Just like the folks
    where I came from. Now I know why I left there.

    I am quite aware that VERY MANY things do't work on ALL systems but I
    doubt very seriously that MAILTO: wouldn't work on almost every system
    since it is the direct method of sending something out to an SMPT
    server as much as http:// is the way to send something out directly to a
    TCP/IP server.

    Besides, I DIDN'T SAY I wanted to use either MAILTO: or Javascript. I
    was asking for a suggestion as to how to do what I wanted to do.

    Boy, I'm sorry I ruined your day guy.

    If you are going to be so openly critical make sure you know what you
    are talking about.

    Sheesh, if there is anything worse than arrogance it is uninformed
    arrogance.

    Dan Whitaker

    Dan Whitaker, Jun 28, 2003

  3. rf

    ozzy Guest

    > Gee thanks Richard. Downright unfriendly you are. Just like the folks
    > where I came from. Now I know why I left there.
    >
    > I am quite aware that VERY MANY things do't work on ALL systems but I
    > doubt very seriously that MAILTO: wouldn't work on almost every system
    > since it is the direct method of sending something out to an SMPT
    > server as much as http:// is the way to send something out directly to a
    > TCP/IP server.
    >
    > Besides, I DIDN'T SAY I wanted to use either MAILTO: or Javascript. I
    > was asking for a suggestion as to how to do what I wanted to do.
    >
    > Boy, I'm sorry I ruined your day guy.
    >
    > If you are going to be so openly critical make sure you know what you
    > are talking about.
    >
    > Sheesh, if there is anything worse than arrogance it is uninformed
    > arrogance.
    >
    > Dan Whitaker

    Dan, not ALL persons will be assholes. Not all of them will think that they
    are god's gift to the newsgroups. Not all of them will crap all over you if
    you phrase your post wrong or post in a way that doesn't meet THEIR
    criteria. There are actually some nice people out there & on this forum.
    Hope you get better luck with the next responder ;of)

    ozzy

    ozzy, Jun 28, 2003
  4. rf

    Sam Hughes Guest

    (Dan Whitaker) wrote in news:23752-3EFD6242-5
    @storefull-2171.public.lawson.webtv.net:

    > Gee thanks Richard. Downright unfriendly you are. Just like the folks
    > where I came from. Now I know why I left there.

    What's this? Who's Richard? Please quote text so I have an idea about
    what you are talking about. Which I do because I'm viewing this
    newsgroup threaded in Xnews, but not everybody has that priviledge. :)

    You thought he was being unfriendly, but he was not.

    > Boy, I'm sorry I ruined your day guy.

    You are misreading the inflexions of his typing.

    > If you are going to be so openly critical make sure you know what you
    > are talking about.

    Make sure you know what you are talking about. Because you're talking
    about a person who you have judged based on one Usenet posting of his.

    > Sheesh, if there is anything worse than arrogance it is uninformed
    > arrogance.

    It is not uninformed arrogance. By the way, you're arrogantly calling
    him arrogant and uninformed, which shows that _you're_ exhibiting
    uninformed arrogance! (But then, you see, now I'm doing the same to
    you!) ;-)

    --
    This is not my regular sig. I typed this into this message manually.

    Sam Hughes, Jun 29, 2003