Re: Email Read Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'HTML' started by PeterMcC, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. PeterMcC

    PeterMcC Guest

    Dan Whitaker wrote:
    > I know that several email systems have a provision for being notified
    > when the recipient(s) open/read email that you send to them. Some
    > email systems don't have that fearure. Is there any convenient way to
    > do that with some HTML funcrtion or a combination of functions such
    > as perhaps "MAILTO:" and a JavaScript to automatically respond
    > without the recipient doing anything? Like maybe a JavaScript that
    > would do the MAILTO: without any recipeint intervention?

    I know it's not the answer you want, Dan, but - mercifully - it's not
    possible without the recipients intervention, thought there is a security
    issue with some versions of Outlook that can be exploited on unpatched
    installations.

    If it's any consolation, the fact that this can't be done is the only thing
    that keeps email functioning - if it were possible, then every spammer would
    use it, the amount of spam traffic would therefore double at a stroke and
    the internet would grind to a halt :(

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,