Re: Email Read Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'HTML' started by blib, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. blib

    blib Guest

    "Dan Whitaker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I know that several email systems have a provision for being notified
    > when the recipient(s) open/read email that you send to them. Some email
    > systems don't have that fearure. Is there any convenient way to do that
    > with some HTML funcrtion or a combination of functions such as perhaps
    > "MAILTO:" and a JavaScript to automatically respond without the
    > recipient doing anything? Like maybe a JavaScript that would do the
    > MAILTO: without any recipeint intervention?

    I am also looking for a function which as well as replying will send an
    attachment called 'ILOVEYOU' and it would be even more convenient if it sent
    this attachment to all the addresses in my Outlook addy book.

    Thomas

    blib, Jun 27, 2003

  2. blib

    Dan Whitaker Guest

    Peter & Thomas, Thanks for y9ur replies. I do blieve though, that the
    email agent i was using back in 1998 was MSN mail which was, I believe,
    part of Microsof Office and it definitely did have a function whereby
    you could specify that you wanted to beinformend when a recipient opened
    mail you had snt to them qand it worked flawlessly. It was a good
    feature if you wanted to know that the people you sent a critical memo
    to had gotten the message. For instance, if you announced a meeting in
    conference room A at 10:00 Thursday you would like to know that all the
    people who should be there had at least gotten the announcement.

    And hey, spmmers will be spammers and will figure out a way to get to
    you one way or another. I don;t think we should consider unhinging all
    of the good fearures of the internet that spammers might be able to take
    advantage of. If we did that, the best way would be to just shut the
    internet down. No more spam, eh? :)

    Anyway, thanks guys.
    Dan

    Dan Whitaker, Jun 28, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Peter & Thomas, Thanks for y9ur replies. I do blieve though, that the
    > email agent i was using back in 1998 was MSN mail which was, I believe,
    > part of Microsof Office and it definitely did have a function whereby
    > you could specify that you wanted to beinformend when a recipient opened
    > mail you had snt to them qand it worked flawlessly. It was a good

    It didn't work flawlessly. Even for people using MS products - you can
    send me an email if you like. I'll pick it up in Outlook, but you won't
    get a read receipt.

    If you're using 'mailto:' then there's a good chance the email won't be
    sent at all (hotmail, anyone?).

    If you set a header of:

    'Disposition-Notification-To: "Dan" <>'

    Then I suppose there's at least a chance that you'll get a recipt when
    it reaches their inbox.

    BTW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 28, 2003