Re: embedded database

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Jowers, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Tim Jowers

    Tim Jowers Guest

    (babak) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've long had an itch for a pure java embedded database.
    > Something like berkeley db, but in java.
    >
    > In principle, the java.nio packages in 1.4 seem to make
    > writing such a library within reach. It seems to me if
    > you got something like the berkeley db package, then a
    > lot of higher level java database projects (e.g. smyle,
    > axion, hypersonic) can start to scale.
    >
    > I'm not that interested in a relational or OO database:
    > I just want a durable, industrial (read big files, say
    > 2GB) library that can store and index byte records, with
    > some minimal transactional support at reasonable speed
    > (say half the speed of berkeley db).
    >
    > Not knowing better, I've started hacking away at it in
    > my spare time. I have some ideas about how to pull it
    > off (and hopefully make it interesting). I'd prefer to
    > join an existing project, if you know one; otherwise,
    > anyone interested in starting a new open source project?
    >
    > -babak.

    What do you think about hsqldb - 100% Java Database?
    http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/
    Maybe you can do some optimizations so it will be even smaller and
    faster for needs such as yours. I haven't had a chance to play with it
    but heard some good things.
    TimJowers
    Tim Jowers, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Tim Jowers schrieb:
    > (babak) wrote in message
    >
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> I'm not that interested in a relational or OO database: I just want a
    >> durable, industrial (read big files, say 2GB) library that can store
    >> and index byte records, with some minimal transactional support at
    >> reasonable speed (say half the speed of berkeley db).
    >>
    >> Not knowing better, I've started hacking away at it in my spare time.
    >> I have some ideas about how to pull it off (and hopefully make it
    >> interesting). I'd prefer to join an existing project, if you know
    >> one; otherwise, anyone interested in starting a new open source
    >> project?
    >>
    >> -babak.

    > What do you think about hsqldb - 100% Java Database?
    > http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ Maybe you can do some optimizations so it
    > will be even smaller and faster for needs such as yours. I haven't had a
    > chance to play with it but heard some good things. TimJowers

    As much as I like hsqldb, I don't think for a DB that size it is really the
    right choice. My experience is, that HSQLDB works well for databases with
    around 50-200k rows in the tables. Over that it gets pretty slow (and
    memory consumption increases rapidly) It seems to be better with the 1.7.2
    version which should be released in the near future. But still I wouldn't
    use it for a 2GB database.

    Cheers
    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Jun 28, 2003