Re: emded revision control in Python application?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Emile van Sebille, Jun 22, 2012.

  1. On 6/22/2012 8:58 AM duncan smith said...
    > Hello,
    > I have an application that would benefit from collaborative working.
    > Over time users construct a "data environment" which is a number of
    > files in JSON format contained in a few directories

    You don't say what your target platform is, but on linux I've done some
    testing with python-fuse that allows interception on file access to take
    whatever actions you like, in your case archive prior upon write.

    Might be worth a look.

    Emile

    Emile van Sebille, Jun 22, 2012

  2. On 6/22/2012 11:19 AM duncan smith said...
    > On 22/06/12 17:42, Emile van Sebille wrote:
    >> On 6/22/2012 8:58 AM duncan smith said...
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I have an application that would benefit from collaborative working.
    >>> Over time users construct a "data environment" which is a number of
    >>> files in JSON format contained in a few directories

    So, will the users modify their local environment and you'd push the
    revisions to a known location for redistribution? How might peer-to-peer
    work? How would you know which peers get the change, or would all peers
    get the change?

    I've been working with rpyc (in as much spare time as I can manage) on
    some similar sounding issues and am now settling on a central system
    which provides convenient administration and potential relaying or
    pulling. See http://rpyc.sourceforge.net/

    I just tested my in-process development status and find 64 remote
    machines up and 5 non-responsive which in my case are likely machines
    that are not yet configured properly. As this has been on the back
    burner the past two months I'm pleased with how it's fared in the face
    of neglect.

    At least with rpyc (which does have a low learning curve) you'll be
    fully in python.

    Emile

    Emile van Sebille, Jun 22, 2012