Re: emded revision control in Python application?

Discussion in 'Python' started by rusi, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. rusi

    rusi Guest

    On Jun 22, 8:58 pm, duncan smith <>
    > Hello,
    >        I have an application that would benefit from collaborative
    > working. Over time users construct a "data environment" which is a
    > number of files in JSON format contained in a few directories (in the
    > future I'll probably place these in a zip so the environment is
    > contained within a single file). At the moment there is one individual
    > constructing the data environment, and me occasionally applying
    > corrections after being e-mailed the files. But in the future there
    > might be several individuals in various locations.
    > As a minimum requirement I need to embed some sort of version control,
    > so that changes committed by one individual will be seen in the local
    > environments of the others. Some of the work involves editing graphs
    > which have restrictions on their structure. In this case it would be
    > useful for edits to be committed / seen in real time. The users will not
    > be particularly technical, so the version control will have to happen
    > relatively quietly in the background.
    > My immediate thoughts are to (somehow) embed Mercurial or Subversion. It
    > would certainly be useful to be able to revert to a previous version of
    > the data environment if an individual does something silly. But I'm not
    > actually convinced that this is the whole solution for collaborative
    > working. Any advice regarding the embedding of a version control system
    > or alternative approaches would be appreciated. I haven't tried anything
    > like this before. The desktop application is written in Python (2.6)
    > with a wxPython (2.8) GUI. Given the nature of the application / data
    > the machines involved might be locally networked but without web access
    > (if this makes a difference). TIA.
    > Duncan

    If you are looking at mercurial and subversion you may want to look at
    git also.

    (quoting Linus Torvalds)
    In many ways you can just see git as a filesystem — it's content-
    addressable, and it has a notion of versioning, but I really really
    designed it coming at the problem from the viewpoint of a filesystem
    person (hey, kernels is what I do), and I actually have absolutely
    zero interest in creating a traditional SCM system.

    More details
    Of course its good to say upfront that git is mostly C+shell ie its
    not python
    There is gitpython
    but I know nothing about it
    rusi, Jun 23, 2012