Re: emergent/swarm/evolutionary systems etc

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Laird, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. In article <c4btjr$8il$>,
    Peter MacKenzie <> wrote:
    >(Hmm, this might appear as a double posting, but I don't think my last one
    >made it through.)
    >
    >Thanks, but.
    >
    >("One approach to discussing and comparing AI
    >problem solving strategies is to categorize them using the
    >terms ''strong'' and ''weak'' methods. Generally, a weak

    .
    [much more]
    .
    .
    You might like "The Outsider's Guide to Artificial Intelligence"
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Apr 4, 2004

  2. >You might like "The Outsider's Guide to Artificial Intelligence"

    Yes. It is interesting. I've been playing with the idea of graphical
    representations for programming 'phrases' for a while, and the reference to
    LISP brought it to mind. Although LISP doesn't look that much better than
    Python code, are there any programs out there that let you program, um,
    programs, using various shapes, colours etc? Just thinking about it brings
    up all manner of difficulties that would be encountered if you tried to
    create such a thing, but it would be nice if there was some immediately
    obvious graphical connection between pieces of code (so beginners like me
    didn't keep trying to put the square code through the round code ;-) ).
    Just a thought of the 'in the shower' variety.

    I also liked the idea of the metagame project
    (http://satirist.org/learn-game/projects/metagame.html), though I don't see
    myself taking on a challenge of that magnitude in the reasonably foreseeable
    future.

    Peter MacKenzie, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Cameron Laird

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Peter MacKenzie wrote:

    >>You might like "The Outsider's Guide to Artificial Intelligence"

    > Yes. It is interesting. I've been playing with the idea of graphical
    > representations for programming 'phrases' for a while, and the reference to
    > LISP brought it to mind. Although LISP doesn't look that much better than
    > Python code, are there any programs out there that let you program, um,
    > programs, using various shapes, colours etc? Just thinking about it brings
    > up all manner of difficulties that would be encountered if you tried to
    > create such a thing, but it would be nice if there was some immediately
    > obvious graphical connection between pieces of code [...]

    Using the "G" graphical language of LabVIEW, all code ends up
    _literally_ looking like spaghetti... would that help? ;-)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 4, 2004
  4. In article <c4pbri$afg$>,
    Peter MacKenzie <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >LISP brought it to mind. Although LISP doesn't look that much better than
    >Python code, are there any programs out there that let you program, um,
    >programs, using various shapes, colours etc? Just thinking about it brings

    .
    .
    .
    We often call that "visual programming", and it comes in
    several strengths
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~maratb/cs263/paper/node2.html
    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=visual programming&action=Search

    Cameron Laird, Apr 4, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >> LISP brought it to mind. Although LISP doesn't look that much better than
    >> Python code, are there any programs out there that let you program, um,
    >> programs, using various shapes, colours etc? Just thinking about it brings
    >> up all manner of difficulties that would be encountered if you tried to
    >> create such a thing, but it would be nice if there was some immediately
    >> obvious graphical connection between pieces of code [...]

    >Using the "G" graphical language of LabVIEW, all code ends up
    >_literally_ looking like spaghetti... would that help? ;-)
    >
    >-Peter

    LabVIEW's the first example that came to my mind, although
    perhaps Prograph or JavaBeans (!) could be argued as more
    commercially successful.

    I've worked on VPLs a couple of cycles in my career already,
    in process-control contexts. My enthusiasm is tepid--but
    then I've exceedingly text-oriented.

    Cameron Laird, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Looking at it, I don't think it's for me. I'll keep it in mind for future
    tasks, but this dissertation would be better served by text coding and a
    raster display. The flow chart code and vector graphics output of LabVIEW
    might be useful if I was doing sociological work, as that uses a lot of flow
    chart stuff to model the inter-linkages between people, but I'm not really a
    people person. Another minute, another thing I've learned. It's not quite
    as exciting as following the 'thinking' tutorial though.

    >>> fruit = "bannana"
    >>> bakedfood = " nut bread"
    >>> fruit + bakedfood

    'bannana nut bread'

    >>>message = "What's up, doc?"

    >>> fruit *len(fruit)

    'bannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannana'
    >>> fruit *len(message)

    'bannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabanna
    nabannanabannanabannanabannana'

    It took me a bit to figure out this one:

    >>>fruit * pow(len(message),1)

    'bannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabannanabanna
    nabannanabannanabannanabannana'

    (I won't take it to >>>fruit * pow(len(message),2)) There's such a thing a
    too much fibre. :)

    Peter MacKenzie, Apr 4, 2004