Re: Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 7/17/2012 8:01 AM, Lipska the Kat wrote:
    > On 17/07/12 09:45, Lipska the Kat wrote:
    >> Pythoners
    >>
    >> Python 2.7.3
    >> Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
    >>
    >> I've been taking a brief look at Python.
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Well I've set myself a task.
    > I have a text file containing a list of stock items
    > each line contains the number in stock followed by a tab followed by the
    > name of the item. I need to implement something that reads in the text
    > file and outputs the stock list in ascending or descending order of
    > quantity.

    Nice problem. Easy but non-trivial.

    > Please note I am NOT asking for solutions.

    Ok. With some inefficient redundancy, I believe it could be done in one
    line in Python. Better code would take a few more.

    > In bash this is laughably trivial
    >
    > sort -nr $1 | head -${2:-10}

    Won't sort work alphabetically and leave the following as is?

    1\talpha
    11\tbeta
    2\tgamma

    --