Re-engineer application to run in JRE 1.4.2 against old JRE 1.1.7

Prasoon

I have a JAR file containing classes that were compiled using JDK
1.1.7. The JAR when run, works perfectly with JRE 1.1.7 but I need to
have it running using JRE 1.4.2 which does not happen.
THE JAR contains files that use AWT components which were created
using Symantec's Visual Cafe - the source code of which is not
available whereas for rest of the application, code is available.
Using the Java Decompiler JAD, i was able to decompile the class files
but when the application was later compiled using 1.4.2, I noticed
that the application shows a few package errors which are reportedly
missing. Those packages however were not present in the JAR however
JRE 1.1.7 ran it perfectly.
As am new to JAVA, I am not able to understand how to proceed further.
Visual Cafe has been discontinued by Symantec and rewriting that
component again will be a tiresome effort I guess.
Any pointers how to go about making the application run in JRE 1.4.2
with least rework would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

Prasoon said:
I have a JAR file containing classes that were compiled using JDK
1.1.7. The JAR when run, works perfectly with JRE 1.1.7 but I need to
have it running using JRE 1.4.2 which does not happen.

Why not? Do you get runtime errors? What are
they? There are applications that were compiled
for Java 1.1, that run on every VM since.
THE JAR contains files that use AWT components which were created
using Symantec's Visual Cafe - the source code of which is not
available whereas for rest of the application, code is available.
Using the Java Decompiler JAD, i was able to decompile the class files
but when the application was later compiled using 1.4.2, I noticed
that the application shows a few package errors which are reportedly
missing. Those packages however were not present in the JAR however
JRE 1.1.7 ran it perfectly.

Java 1.4.2 has all the classes that were contained in 1.1.7,
+ a lot more.
As am new to JAVA, ..

Java is not an acronym, but a (silly) proper name,
so only the first letter needs to be upper case.
..I am not able to understand how to proceed further.
Visual Cafe has been discontinued by Symantec and rewriting that
component again will be a tiresome effort I guess.
Any pointers how to go about making the application run in JRE 1.4.2
with least rework would be appreciated.

Try running the original jar from the command line,
using Java 1.4.2. Report any runtime errors that
happen.