Re-engineer application to run in JRE 1.4.2 against old JRE 1.1.7

Discussion in 'Java' started by Prasoon, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. Prasoon

    Prasoon Guest

    I have a JAR file containing classes that were compiled using JDK
    1.1.7. The JAR when run, works perfectly with JRE 1.1.7 but I need to
    have it running using JRE 1.4.2 which does not happen.
    THE JAR contains files that use AWT components which were created
    using Symantec's Visual Cafe - the source code of which is not
    available whereas for rest of the application, code is available.
    Using the Java Decompiler JAD, i was able to decompile the class files
    but when the application was later compiled using 1.4.2, I noticed
    that the application shows a few package errors which are reportedly
    missing. Those packages however were not present in the JAR however
    JRE 1.1.7 ran it perfectly.
    As am new to JAVA, I am not able to understand how to proceed further.
    Visual Cafe has been discontinued by Symantec and rewriting that
    component again will be a tiresome effort I guess.
    Any pointers how to go about making the application run in JRE 1.4.2
    with least rework would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Prasoon, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Prasoon wrote:
    >I have a JAR file containing classes that were compiled using JDK
    >1.1.7. The JAR when run, works perfectly with JRE 1.1.7 but I need to
    >have it running using JRE 1.4.2 which does not happen.

    Why not? Do you get runtime errors? What are
    they? There are applications that were compiled
    for Java 1.1, that run on every VM since.

    >THE JAR contains files that use AWT components which were created
    >using Symantec's Visual Cafe - the source code of which is not
    >available whereas for rest of the application, code is available.
    >Using the Java Decompiler JAD, i was able to decompile the class files
    >but when the application was later compiled using 1.4.2, I noticed
    >that the application shows a few package errors which are reportedly
    >missing. Those packages however were not present in the JAR however
    >JRE 1.1.7 ran it perfectly.

    Java 1.4.2 has all the classes that were contained in 1.1.7,
    + a lot more.

    >As am new to JAVA, ..

    Java is not an acronym, but a (silly) proper name,
    so only the first letter needs to be upper case.

    >..I am not able to understand how to proceed further.
    >Visual Cafe has been discontinued by Symantec and rewriting that
    >component again will be a tiresome effort I guess.
    >Any pointers how to go about making the application run in JRE 1.4.2
    >with least rework would be appreciated.

    Try running the original jar from the command line,
    using Java 1.4.2. Report any runtime errors that
    happen.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/