Re: Enterprise Level Logging

Discussion in 'Java' started by RedGrittyBrick, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. On 01/04/2010 07:15, J K wrote:
    > I work on a medium-to-large scale distributed web application. Often issues come up that need trouble shooting. Currently, sys-admins have to grep logs on as many as 100 machines to find useful information. Of course this can be done via bash, but that is slow and error prone. I would like to implement an easier way.
    >
    > It seems that there are three options:
    >
    > 1. Write logs over the network to some "central" location.
    > 2. Write logs into a database
    > 3. Develop some remote search capability to search or index all the logs

    My Java hat isn't firmly enough seated on my head - so the first things
    that popped into my mind were ...

    1. Syslog
    2. Ugh.
    3. When faced with a very similar task, Larry Wall invented Perl.

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Apr 1, 2010

  2. On 01/04/2010 09:29, RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > On 01/04/2010 07:15, J K wrote:
    >> I work on a medium-to-large scale distributed web application. Often
    >> issues come up that need trouble shooting. Currently, sys-admins have
    >> to grep logs on as many as 100 machines to find useful information. Of
    >> course this can be done via bash, but that is slow and error prone. I
    >> would like to implement an easier way.
    >>
    >> It seems that there are three options:
    >>
    >> 1. Write logs over the network to some "central" location.
    >> 2. Write logs into a database
    >> 3. Develop some remote search capability to search or index all the logs
    >>

    > My Java hat isn't firmly enough seated on my head - so the first things
    > that popped into my mind were ...
    >
    > 1. Syslog
    > 2. Ugh.
    > 3. When faced with a very similar task, Larry Wall invented Perl.

    <presses hat down>
    http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/ ?

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Apr 1, 2010

  3. RedGrittyBrick

    markspace Guest

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:

    > My Java hat isn't firmly enough seated on my head - so the first things
    > that popped into my mind were ...
    >
    > 1. Syslog

    I was going to point out the same thing. Folks know that the syslogger
    will automatically send logs (potentially ALL logs, if you want) to a
    remote machine if you configure it to do so, right?

    Typing "man syslog" into Google, I get the man page, there's a link to
    syslog.conf, where I find:

    "Remote Machine

    This syslogd(8) provides full remote logging, i.e. is able to send
    messages to a remote host running syslogd(8) and to receive messages
    from remote hosts. The remote host won't forward the message again, it
    will just log them locally. To forward messages to another host, prepend
    the hostname with the at sign (''@'').

    Using this feature you're able to control all syslog messages on one
    host, if all other machines will log remotely to that. This tears down
    administration needs. "

    http://linux.die.net/man/5/syslog.conf

    markspace, Apr 1, 2010