Re: EPD 7.0 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Eric Stechmann, Feb 10, 2011.

  1. Hi, son.

    Don't know if this would be of any interest to you. Well, I suppose it does provide some interesting.

    I hope your physical get-together will help out.

    Love you, David.

    Dad

    Eric Stechmann, Feb 10, 2011

  2. Eric Stechmann

    sturlamolden Guest

    EPD is great, at least for scientific users. There is just one
    installer, with everything we need, instead of struggling with dozens
    of libraries to download, configure and build. It is still Python 2.7
    (not 3.1) due to libraries like SciPy. A subscription for EPD is also
    a contribution to the development of NumPy and SciPy.

    Sturla

    sturlamolden, Feb 13, 2011

  3. Eric Stechmann

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2011-02-13 10:40 , sturlamolden wrote:
    > EPD is great, at least for scientific users. There is just one
    > installer, with everything we need, instead of struggling with dozens
    > of libraries to download, configure and build. It is still Python 2.7
    > (not 3.1) due to libraries like SciPy. A subscription for EPD is also
    > a contribution to the development of NumPy and SciPy.

    I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
    employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
    numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
    more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
    subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Feb 14, 2011
  4. Eric Stechmann

    sturlamolden Guest

    On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern <> wrote:

    > I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
    > employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
    > numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
    > more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
    > subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

    But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
    developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
    the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
    commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
    making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
    NumPy as well.

    Enthought EPD also helps NumPy/SciPy indirectly, by making Python a
    viable alternative to Matlab:

    * Just having one big installer instead of 100 is why I'm allowed to
    use Python instead of Matlab. Others might have to use my programs, so
    the runtime cannot take a man year to install.

    * A myriad of installers is a big deterrent for any scientist
    considering to use Python.

    * Intel MKL instead of reference LAPACK (actually lapack_lite) make
    EPD very fast for matrix computations.

    * It has a 64-bit version (as opposed to only 32-bit in the "official"
    SciPy installer; that might have changed now.)

    * We don't have to know which libraries are important and/or spend
    time search for them.

    * It comes with C, C++ and Fortran compilers (GCC) preconfigured to
    work with distutils, link correctly, etc.

    Sturla
    sturlamolden, Feb 14, 2011
  5. On 14-Feb-11 06:59 AM, sturlamolden wrote:
    > On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern<> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
    >> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
    >> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
    >> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
    >> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

    > But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
    > developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
    > the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
    > commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
    > making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
    > NumPy as well.
    >
    > Enthought EPD also helps NumPy/SciPy indirectly, by making Python a
    > viable alternative to Matlab:
    >
    > * Just having one big installer instead of 100 is why I'm allowed to
    > use Python instead of Matlab. Others might have to use my programs, so
    > the runtime cannot take a man year to install.
    >
    > * A myriad of installers is a big deterrent for any scientist
    > considering to use Python.
    >
    > * Intel MKL instead of reference LAPACK (actually lapack_lite) make
    > EPD very fast for matrix computations.
    >
    > * It has a 64-bit version (as opposed to only 32-bit in the "official"
    > SciPy installer; that might have changed now.)
    >
    > * We don't have to know which libraries are important and/or spend
    > time search for them.
    >
    > * It comes with C, C++ and Fortran compilers (GCC) preconfigured to
    > work with distutils, link correctly, etc.
    >

    > Sturla

    The purchase price for what, until now, has been open source and free
    seems high.

    Colin W
    Colin J. Williams, Feb 14, 2011
  6. Eric Stechmann

    sturlamolden Guest

    On 14 Feb, 13:35, "Colin J. Williams" <> wrote:

    > The purchase price for what, until now, has been open source and free
    > seems high.

    The price is not high compared to other tools scientists are using,
    e.g. Matlab and S-PLUS.

    If you consider to buy an MKL license from Intel only to build NumPy
    and SciPy against "Intel Math Kernel Library" (MKL), EPD is a less
    expensive option. You can get NumPy and SciPy built against MKL from
    Enthought for less than the price of an MKL license -- MKL is $399,
    EPD is $199. And on top of being cheaper, it saves us all the work
    building and installing.

    How much do you value your own time? Is the price high compared to the
    time spent "doing it yourself"? How long does it take to configure and
    build ATLAS on Windows, build NumPy and SciPy against ATLAS, and then
    build Matplotlib against the ATLAS dependent NumPy? Have you seen the
    number of posts on NumPy and SciPy mailing lists from people going
    insane trying to build the libraries? Do you still think EPD is
    expensive?

    The libraries in EPS (except MKL) is still open source and free if you
    want to mess with 100s of installers and/or build scripts.

    Sturla
    sturlamolden, Feb 14, 2011
  7. Eric Stechmann

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2/14/11 5:59 AM, sturlamolden wrote:
    > On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern<> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
    >> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
    >> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
    >> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
    >> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

    > But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
    > developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
    > the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
    > commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
    > making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
    > NumPy as well.

    I just don't want people to get the impression that we are distributing the
    proceeds from EPD sales to numpy developers in general or that purchasing EPD is
    equivalent to donating to the numpy and scipy projects. If people want to do
    that, there are plenty of grad student developers who would be happy to take
    your money to work on numpy and scipy for a day or two. That's a more efficient
    use of your money. :)

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."