Re: Equivalence checking

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by ALuPin, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. ALuPin

    ALuPin Guest

    Matthias Alles <-kl.de> wrote in message news:<c4eof7$ofp$-kl.de>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > Is there an freeware/open-source Equivalence checker out there for VHDL?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Matthias

    Hi,

    what do you mean with "equivalence" ?

    Equivalence in functional behavior of hardware ?

    ALuPin, Apr 5, 2004

  2. (ALuPin) wrote:
    > Matthias Alles <-kl.de> wrote:

    [Novel shorted to one Line]

    > > Is there an freeware/open-source Equivalence checker out there for VHDL?

    > what do you mean with "equivalence" ?
    >
    > Equivalence in functional behavior of hardware ?

    You use equivalence in EDA for structural equivalence between two
    design representations (Eg. RTL and Netlist).
    There exist several commercial tools for structural equivalence
    (mainly from Verplex, Prover, Mentor and Synopsys). Unfortunately I
    don't know any free tool. But some of the mentioned above behave like
    tools you expect to be Open Source :).

    You could start using the free BDD libraries or some tools to build
    SAT formulas from a design to build your own tool. But you have to be
    very careful to find correct logic cones from a source code. This step
    in formal verification seems to be the most trivial and most error
    prone in tools *g*.

    bye Thomas

    Thomas Stanka, Apr 6, 2004