Re: Error Connecting to Oracle after an Oracle shutdown

Discussion in 'Java' started by Juha Laiho, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Juha Laiho

    Juha Laiho Guest

    (drinc2much) said:
    >Maybe I need to post this to a Tomcat group.
    >Every night we shutdown our Oracle database while we do backups.
    >
    >After the database comes back up, we are unable to access it,giving us
    >the following error:
    >java.lang.Exception: Io exception: Connection reset by peer: socket
    >write error
    >
    >So what we have done in the mean time is to restart the Tomcat server
    >after the Oracle database is back up.

    Makes sense. Even better sense would be to shut down the Tomcat before
    shutting down the database, if all the apps run within the Tomcat are
    dependent on the database.

    Another possibility might be to make your applications handle the
    DB connection breaks more gracefully -- f.ex. by using some kind of
    DB connection pooling class that is able to re-establish broken
    connections. Or just code the reconnect logic into your own application,
    and provide a user-friendly error message when the connection fails.

    >Does anyone know what I need to do? The database is down for about 1.5
    >hours a night.

    Other solutions might be to change the Oracle backup method to online
    backups - i.e. back up the database so that you don't need to shut
    down the database. However, even if you do this, Oracle recommends you
    to perform offline backups of the database every now and then.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Jul 30, 2003