Re: error importing smtplib

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Nov 15, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 11/15/2012 9:38 AM, Eric Frederich wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I created some bindings to a 3rd party library.
    > I have found that when I run Python and import smtplib it works fine.
    > If I first log into the 3rd party application using my bindings however
    > I get a bunch of errors.
    >
    > What do you think this 3rd party login could be doing that would affect
    > the ability to import smtp lib.

    I don't know what 'login' actually means,...

    > This works...
    >
    > import smtplib
    > FOO_login()
    >
    > This doesn't...
    >
    > FOO_login()
    > import smtplib

    but my first guess is that FOO_login alters the module search path so
    that at least one of smtplib, hashlib, or the _xxx modules imported by
    hashlib is being imported from a different place. To check that

    import sys
    before = sys.path
    FOO_login()
    print sys.path==before

    Similar code can check anything else accessible through sys.

    > Errors.....

    > ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.

    I am puzzled by this line before the traceback. I cannot find 'ERROR' in
    either smtplib or hashlib.

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 139, in <module>
    > globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 103, in
    > __get_openssl_constructor
    > return __get_builtin_constructor(name)
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 91, in
    > __get_builtin_constructor
    > raise ValueError('unsupported hash type %s' % name)
    > ValueError: unsupported hash type sha224

    [snip similar messages]

    It is also unusual to get multiple tracebacks. *Exactly* how are you
    running python and is 2.7 what you intend to run?

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Nov 15, 2012