Re: error importing smtplib

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dieter Maurer, Nov 16, 2012.

  1. Eric Frederich <> writes:

    > I created some bindings to a 3rd party library.
    > I have found that when I run Python and import smtplib it works fine.
    > If I first log into the 3rd party application using my bindings however I
    > get a bunch of errors.
    >
    > What do you think this 3rd party login could be doing that would affect the
    > ability to import smtp lib.
    >
    > Any suggestions for debugging this further. I am lost.
    >
    > This works...
    >
    > import smtplib
    > FOO_login()
    >
    > This doesn't...
    >
    > FOO_login()
    > import smtplib
    >
    > Errors.....

    > ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 139, in <module>
    > globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 103, in
    > __get_openssl_constructor
    > return __get_builtin_constructor(name)
    > File "/opt/foo/python27/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 91, in
    > __get_builtin_constructor
    > raise ValueError('unsupported hash type %s' % name)
    > ValueError: unsupported hash type sha224

    >From the error, I suppose it does something bad

    for hash registries.

    When I have analysed problems with "hashlib" (some time ago,
    my memory may not be completely trustworthy), I got the
    impression that "hashlib" essentially delegates to the
    "openssl" libraries for the real work and especially
    the supported hash types. Thus, I suspect that
    your "FOO_login()" does something which confuses "openssl".
    One potential reason could be that it loads a bad version
    of an "openssl" shared library.

    I would use the "trace" (shell) command to find out what operating system
    calls are executed during "FOO_login()", hoping that one of them
    give me a clue.
    Dieter Maurer, Nov 16, 2012