Re: essential books on C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by P. Areias, Jan 31, 2011.

  1. P. Areias

    P. Areias Guest

    > I'd also add "Elements of programming" by Stepanov & Mc Jones

    Having followed, years ago, the recommendations of the knowledgeable,
    I've purchased a number of books including "Deitel's C++ How to
    Program". Between the "Accelerated" and "Essential C++" (I bought
    both), I found the latter superior for the novice. It has many typos
    and the typesetting is far from perfect, but it captures the spirit
    better than "Accelerated" which has intrusive reference-counted smart
    pointers in the latest chapters and it is somehow a little more
    pretentious.

    I carefully read (at a public Library) C++ Primer 4th Edition. I
    honestly think it is not (much) better than what you can find online
    (e.g. Thinking in C++), and did not find motivation to buy it.
    Deitel's "How to program" is really not worth buying because it annoys
    the reader with the verbosity. I can send you mine, if you want (it's
    the 6th Edition). I also bought "Elements of programming" and it is
    beautifully done, but more "algorithmic" than really a C++ book (the C+
    + appendix is worth reading).

    Online references can be "OK" to start such as cplusplus.com and C+
    +FAQ is invaluable (more complete than Meyers book- which I also
    bought). And Microsoft's C++ documentation is really complete and well
    organized - at least in my perspective.

    In summary, I would honestly suggest you to buy Essential C++ and this
    latest Stroustrup's book, which looks clear and simple enough (never
    read it though - just the table of contents). The rest you can find
    online. Don't throw money away as I did...

    P. Areias

    P. Areias, Jan 31, 2011

  2. P. Areias

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 2011-02-01, ptyxs wrote:

    > And please note : by "this latest Stroustrup book", what is meant
    > is : ''Programming Principles and Parameters Using C++''

    It's called "Programming -- Principles and /Practice/ Using C++".

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 2, 2011

  3. P. Areias

    ptyxs Guest

    On Feb 2, 12:45 pm, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2011-02-01, ptyxs wrote:
    >
    > > And please note  : by "this latest Stroustrup book", what is meant
    > > is : ''Programming Principles and Parameters Using C++''

    > It's called "Programming -- Principles and /Practice/ Using C++".
    >
    > /Jorgen
    >
    > --
    >   // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
    > \X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .

    Sorry for the typo...

    ptyxs, Feb 2, 2011
  4. P. Areias

    K4 Monk Guest

    thanks everyone. I see three titles mentioned in this thread quite
    frequently.

    "Accelerated C++"
    "Effective C++ and More Effective C++"
    "The C++ Programming Language"

    I don't have Accelerated C++ but the other books get read quite often.
    I also find myself forgetting everything I've read though. Scott
    Meyer's approach is very surgical, I wish he came up with an
    introductory book along the lines of Essential C++ (Lippman).

    Another book recommended by someone else at my job is "Inside the C++
    Object Model" by Stanley Lippman. I've browsed through it but get the
    feeling that it might be outdated.

    What other books do you feel might be good for soaking up C++ slowly?

    K4 Monk, Feb 15, 2011
  5. P. Areias

    Default User Guest

    "K4 Monk" <> wrote in message

    > What other books do you feel might be good for soaking up C++ slowly?

    The C++ Standard Library, by Josuttis, is very good.

    Brian
    --
    Day 740 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
    Current music playing: None.

    Default User, Feb 15, 2011
  6. P. Areias

    ptyxs Guest

    On Feb 15, 11:49 pm, "Default User" <> wrote:
    The C++ Programming Langage by Bjarne Stroustrup is a very difficult
    book, certainly not to be recommanded for beginners.
    Moreover, Bjarne Stroustrup is writing a new version of this book
    which will take into account the new C++0x modifications of the norm.
    Better wait for this new version...
    For beginners the best book is by far :

    Programming : Principles and Practise Using C++ by Bjerne Stroustrup.

    As it is a rather recent books and made for beginners many C++
    professional programmers did not read it. That is probably the reason
    why it is so rarely mentionned in this thread.

    To get an idea of its content look at the official Bjarne's book site
    here :
    http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

    ptyxs, Feb 16, 2011
  7. P. Areias

    K4 Monk Guest

    On Feb 16, 2:40 pm, ptyxs <> wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 11:49 pm, "Default User" <> wrote:
    > The C++ Programming Langage by Bjarne Stroustrup is a very difficult
    > book, certainly not to be recommanded for beginners.

    Yes I agree! I have had this book around me for over 5 years now and
    still when I take a peek inside something tells me to wait and read it
    again afterwards.

    Maybe C++ isn't the right language for me. By comparison I learnt C in
    about a week by simply reading "The C Programming Language" and feel
    somewhat confident that if I read C code (from what I've seen of open
    source projects) I can understand what is going on. With C++ code, its
    always as if I need a few hours of warming up

    > Moreover, Bjarne Stroustrup is writing a new version of this book
    > which will take into account the new C++0x modifications of the norm.
    > Better wait for this new version...
    > For beginners the best book is by far :
    >
    > Programming : Principles and Practise Using C++ by Bjerne Stroustrup.
    >
    > As it is a rather recent books and made for beginners many C++
    > professional programmers did not read it. That is probably the reason
    > why it is so rarely mentionned in this thread.
    >
    > To get an idea of its content look at the official  Bjarne's book site
    > here :http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

    Thanks for the info, looks very useful. I'll order it

    K4 Monk, Feb 16, 2011