Re: Eureka! How to create or get rid of scrollbars in Netscape

Discussion in 'HTML' started by EightNineThree, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > (Hywel Jenkins) wrote in
    >
    > > My Liege <> wrote in message
    > >> Put the page in a frame and then use the frame controls for the
    > >> scrollbar. I've done this in my page at
    > >> http://www.mfnbc.com/links/links.htm which required it due to
    > >> Netscape's inability to distinguish between visible and hidden
    > >> layers. IOW, it assumed the content on the page extended furthur than
    > >> it does and thus made a scrollbar who's effect was to scroll the
    > >> buttons on top off of the page. After seeing countless sites claiming
    > >> it impossible to control scrollbars in Netscape, I'm happy to have
    > >> found a way to do it. :)

    > > It's a dumb thing to do. Have you tried viewing that page at 640x480?
    > > Have you tried it at 500w x 900h?

    > Yep, fortunately most people surf with the window maximized.

    Lets see the statistics.
    Don't just barf out shit onto the screen, lets see references for this
    claim.

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

    EightNineThree, Jul 30, 2003

  2. EightNineThree

    My Liege Guest

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    >> (Hywel Jenkins) wrote in
    >>
    >> > My Liege <> wrote in message

    than

    claiming

    >> > It's a dumb thing to do. Have you tried viewing that page at

    640x480?
    >> > Have you tried it at 500w x 900h?

    >> Yep, fortunately most people surf with the window maximized.
    >>

    > Lets see the statistics.
    > Don't just barf out shit onto the screen, lets see references for this
    > claim.

    Why do I need to provide statistics about things which are totally
    obvious to any sane person? Do you need a statistic showing that the sun
    rises in the morning and sets in the evening too? Or a statistic showing
    that you're currently in "that time of the month"?

    My Liege, Jul 30, 2003

  3. "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > >> (Hywel Jenkins) wrote in

    > than

    > claiming

    > 640x480?
    > >>

    > >> Yep, fortunately most people surf with the window maximized.
    > >>

    > > Lets see the statistics.
    > > Don't just barf out shit onto the screen, lets see references for this
    > > claim.
    > >

    > Why do I need to provide statistics about things which are totally
    > obvious to any sane person? Do you need a statistic showing that the sun
    > rises in the morning and sets in the evening too? Or a statistic showing
    > that you're currently in "that time of the month"?

    Read the above as " 'My Liege' is a fucking moron who has no proof for his
    assinine and incorrect claim."

    Lets make this simple for you, cupcake. You aren't talking to hobbyists
    here who are making things up (like you apparently love to do).
    In many cases, you're talking to professionals in this field.
    I get paid handsomely to manage the corporate identity and e-commerce
    offerings of a large financial institution in the Washington DC area.
    The site gets 11 million hits a month and processes millions of dollars in
    transactions a month.

    Others here are in similar positions.
    Lets see here. Who would you guess is the recognized and credible party in
    this discussion?
    You? Faceless moron with a broken hobby site? I don't think so.

    EightNineThree, Jul 31, 2003
  4. EightNineThree

    My Liege Guest

    Kris <> wrote in

    >> > Lets see the statistics.
    >> > Don't just barf out shit onto the screen, lets see references for
    >> > this claim.
    >> >

    >> Why do I need to provide statistics about things which are totally
    >> obvious to any sane person? Do you need a statistic showing that the
    >> sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening too? Or a statistic
    >> showing that you're currently in "that time of the month"?

    > You are an ignorant,

    That's true. There are many things I'm ignorant about. But then again,
    who could honestly say otherwise?

    > self-absorbed

    If you were as cool as me you'd be self-absorbed too. :)

    > troll.

    Well, I admit, I have resorted to a little trolling in reply to the
    nastier folks in this thread.

    > You don't need the people in
    > here;

    "Everybody needs somebody sometimes..."

    > not for help,

    I didn't *ask* for help.

    > not for attention,

    But it is fun. :)

    > not for acknowledging what you
    > are.

    True.

    > Do everybody and yourself a favor and get lost.

    Why would I want to do you all favors?

    > Don't forget to take your big invention with you and put it somewhere
    > warm and tight, void of daylight.

    And turn my back on all those helpless souls searching, hoping, and
    sometimes even begging for a way to control the scrollbar in gecko based
    browsers? Maybe you can ignore all their pleas and sad faces, but I was
    raised to be a compassionate human being. So the next time you find
    yourself dangling helpless over the side of a bridge, I hope for your
    sake the only person to come by is a little more like me, than like you.

    My Liege, Jul 31, 2003
  5. EightNineThree

    My Liege Guest

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    >> "EightNineThree" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "My Liege" <> wrote in message

    >> than

    >> claiming

    >> 640x480?

    >> > Lets see the statistics.
    >> > Don't just barf out shit onto the screen, lets see references for
    >> > this claim.
    >> >

    >> Why do I need to provide statistics about things which are totally
    >> obvious to any sane person? Do you need a statistic showing that the
    >> sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening too? Or a statistic
    >> showing that you're currently in "that time of the month"?

    > Read the above as " 'My Liege' is a fucking moron who has no proof for
    > his assinine and incorrect claim."

    Proof was posted. Its not my fault you're all too simian to translate
    Chinese.

    > Lets make this simple for you, cupcake.

    You scamp you!

    > You aren't talking to
    > hobbyists here who are making things up (like you apparently love to
    > do). In many cases, you're talking to professionals in this field.

    Yes, I understand that your group is pretty competent and more
    knowledgable about web design than I. You're also a rude bunch of
    arrogant shitheads who take themselves way too seriously, attempting to
    demean any who dare question your royal proclamations about design
    *philosophy*.

    > I get paid handsomely to manage the corporate identity and e-commerce
    > offerings of a large financial institution in the Washington DC area.
    > The site gets 11 million hits a month and processes millions of
    > dollars in transactions a month.

    La-de-da.

    > Others here are in similar positions.
    > Lets see here. Who would you guess is the recognized and credible
    > party in this discussion?

    The one who understand that appealling to *yourself* as an authority in
    order to avoid providing an actual argument for your position is
    incredibly weak.

    > You? Faceless moron with a broken hobby site? I don't think so.

    Ad hominems like that are not only unimpressive, they're also dangerous.
    Not so much because people might think you wrong, but moreso because they
    might agree that I am indeed a moron. Not only might they question the
    intelligence of one who would feel a need to tell a moron that they are a
    moron, but that opens up the possibility of me expressing envy for the
    merciful freedom from the ravages of the intellect which you enjoy, thus
    proving that even a moron is more eloquent in belittling another's mental
    facalties than you. What conclusions does this lead to about you?

    My Liege, Jul 31, 2003

    Great. So shut the **** up, then.

    EightNineThree, Jul 31, 2003
  7. EightNineThree

    My Liege Guest

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    >> "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    >> > You aren't talking to
    >> > hobbyists here who are making things up (like you apparently love to
    >> > do). In many cases, you're talking to professionals in this field.

    >> Yes, I understand that your group is pretty competent and more
    >> knowledgable about web design than I.

    > Great. So shut the **** up, then.

    Only if you admit you're a little bitch who can't defend his position in
    spite of his amazing job.

    My Liege, Jul 31, 2003
  8. "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > >> "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > >> Yes, I understand that your group is pretty competent and more
    > >> knowledgable about web design than I.

    > > Great. So shut the **** up, then.

    > Only if you admit you're a little bitch who can't defend his position in
    > spite of his amazing job.

    You're right. I'm a little bitch.
    I'll pay for your planefare to say it to my face, sweetcheeks

    http://www.murderthestupid.com/images/karlcore.jpg

    EightNineThree, Jul 31, 2003
  9. EightNineThree

    My Liege Guest

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    >> "EightNineThree" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "My Liege" <> wrote in message

    >> > Great. So shut the **** up, then.

    >> Only if you admit you're a little bitch who can't defend his position
    >> in spite of his amazing job.

    > You're right. I'm a little bitch.

    Being aware of the problem is the first step in solving it. Good for you!
    :)

    > I'll pay for your planefare to say it to my face, sweetcheeks

    Cool, I'm gonna go set up my Paypal account now.

    > http://www.murderthestupid.com/images/karlcore.jpg

    Hey you're pretty cute little girl.

    My Liege, Jul 31, 2003