Re: Eureka! How to create or get rid of scrollbars in Netscape

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sam Hughes, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Sam Hughes

    Sam Hughes Guest

    My Liege <> wrote in

    > Put the page in a frame and then use the frame controls for the
    > scrollbar. I've done this in my page at
    > http://www.mfnbc.com/links/links.htm which required it due to
    > Netscape's inability to distinguish between visible and hidden layers.
    > IOW, it assumed the content on the page extended furthur than it does
    > and thus made a scrollbar who's effect was to scroll the buttons on
    > top off of the page. After seeing countless sites claiming it
    > impossible to control scrollbars in Netscape, I'm happy to have found
    > a way to do it. :)
    > PS - I'm almost as happy for having found a valid use for frames. Now
    > if only I could write code which validates. :)

    A valid use for frames is one which truly benefits the user, rather than
    the author.
    Sam Hughes, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Sam Hughes

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Sam Hughes

    Chris Beall Guest

    "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > Sam Hughes <> wrote in news:Xns93C8E82B9E920samreid@
    > 130.133.1.4:
    >
    > > My Liege <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Put the page in a frame and then use the frame controls for the
    > >> scrollbar. I've done this in my page at
    > >> http://www.mfnbc.com/links/links.htm which required it due to
    > >> Netscape's inability to distinguish between visible and hidden

    layers.
    > >> IOW, it assumed the content on the page extended furthur than it

    does
    > >> and thus made a scrollbar who's effect was to scroll the buttons on
    > >> top off of the page. After seeing countless sites claiming it
    > >> impossible to control scrollbars in Netscape, I'm happy to have

    found
    > >> a way to do it. :)
    > >> PS - I'm almost as happy for having found a valid use for frames.

    Now
    > >> if only I could write code which validates. :)

    > > A valid use for frames is one which truly benefits the user, rather

    > than
    > > the author.

    > Then compare, user.

    > Try http://www.mfnbc.com/links/inframe.htm#top in Mozilla.
    >
    > Now try http://www.mfnbc.com/links/links.htm#top
    >
    > Did the frame in the second link which removed the scroll hinder you

    or
    > benefit you?

    My Liege,

    I was unable to make a comparison because I get a 404 error from the
    inframe version. I know that things happen fast here, but some of us
    check in only once a day or so...

    On the links.htm page, I notice that the word 'Links' (and its
    surrounding area) is, in fact, a link (my cursor changes when I pass
    over it), but it doesn't seem to do anything when clicked. Is that as
    intended? Did I miss something?

    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Chris Beall wrote:
    > I know that things happen fast here, but some of us
    > check in only once a day or so...

    You don't get a discount for infrequent use you know ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Sam Hughes

    My Liege Guest

    My Liege, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Sam Hughes

    Sam Hughes Guest

    My Liege <> wrote in

    > Fair enough. The page you saw did not actually contain frames. I
    > removed the frame page yesterday after Sam Hughes pointed out that by
    > using position:absolute instead of position:relative in the div tags I
    > could eliminate the blank space beneath the page, thus getting rid of
    > the unnecessary scrollbar that way.

    I was not the one who pointed this out.
    Sam Hughes, Aug 1, 2003
  7. Sam Hughes

    Sam Hughes Guest

    My Liege <> wrote in

    > Isofarro <> wrote in
    >
    >> My Liege wrote:
    >>
    >>> Then compare, user.
    >>>
    >>> Try http://www.mfnbc.com/links/inframe.htm#top in Mozilla.
    >>>
    >>> Now try http://www.mfnbc.com/links/links.htm#top
    >>>
    >>> Did the frame in the second link which removed the scroll hinder you or
    >>> benefit you?

    >> Hinder.

    > Answers from people who actually visited the site only please.

    If you're going to ask a question, then please listen to the answer.

    What you did is stupid. Among other things...
    Sam Hughes, Aug 1, 2003
  8. Sam Hughes

    My Liege Guest

    Sam Hughes <> wrote in news:Xns93CA17DADC811samreid@
    130.133.1.4:

    > My Liege <> wrote in
    >
    >> Fair enough. The page you saw did not actually contain frames. I
    >> removed the frame page yesterday after Sam Hughes pointed out that by
    >> using position:absolute instead of position:relative in the div tags I
    >> could eliminate the blank space beneath the page, thus getting rid of
    >> the unnecessary scrollbar that way.

    > I was not the one who pointed this out.

    My mistake, it was Steve Pugh who pointed it out.
    My Liege, Aug 1, 2003
  9. Sam Hughes

    My Liege Guest

    Sam Hughes <> wrote in

    > My Liege <> wrote in
    >
    >> Isofarro <> wrote in

    >>> Hinder.

    >> Answers from people who actually visited the site only please.

    > If you're going to ask a question, then please listen to the answer.

    I didn't ask him, and I really doubt he went to the site.

    > What you did is stupid. Among other things...

    What I did was at least somewhat clever. Sure if I had known of the
    better solution I could have used that instead, but how often when one is
    doing something outside their field *isn't* that the case? The solution
    of adding a frame to that page to get rid of the scrollbar did not cause
    any additional problems for that page, unless you consider getting rid of
    that scrollbar a problem, and also was somewhat creative IMHO.
    My Liege, Aug 1, 2003