Re: event driven programming

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bruce Cook, Dec 25, 2009.

  1. Bruce Cook

    Bruce Cook Guest

    superpollo wrote:

    > hi clc.
    >
    > i see that from time to time people get rerouted to more appropriate
    > newsgroups when asking about windows applications.
    >
    > i would like to know if C gives any support to event driven (gui)
    > programming, with some examples if possible.
    >
    > i know there's nothing about it in the standard library, but i am really
    > courious about it: did anyone ever wrote a gui application using (a lot
    > of) standard C? is there some preferred way to isolate the non portable
    > part of the app?

    If you look a the M$ SDK documentation you will find samples & templates of
    C based event loop code. There is also similar samples for X11 event loops.

    Side note:

    One technique we implemented when starting on windows platforms (early '90s)
    was to create a multi-thread F/E process that handled all of the windowing
    events, drawing etc.

    We had also implemented a similar F/E that would operate on X11.

    These F/E processes had interface libraries the implemented a standard API
    which the application used.

    We also has a command based F/E, a NEWS (sun display postscript) F/E & a raw
    VGA based F/E which implemented the same API making program portability
    easy.

    Bruce

    Bruce Cook, Dec 25, 2009