Re: Experts pls help:Regarding ANSI/ISO C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Simon G Best, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Simon G Best

    Simon G Best Guest

    Jim Fischer wrote:
    [...]
    > So to the OP: If compliance with the current ISO/IEC C/C++ standards is
    > what you are interested in, then you should download, build, and install
    > the most current release of the GNU Compiler Collection [GCC] (which is
    > GCC 3.3 as of today). Here's the address of the GCC web site:
    >
    > http://gcc.gnu.org

    But in the meantime, there's GCC 3.0.4, which comes with RedHat 7.2 (in
    RPM package 'gcc3'). (The C++ compiler in it is called 'g++3'.)

    :)

    Simon

    Simon G Best, Jul 19, 2003

  2. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:32:47 GMT
    BT <> wrote:

    > How can I find out what version of C++ compiler exists on my linux
    > box?-BT

    gcc --version

    Matthew Burgess, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Simon G Best

    Jim Fischer Guest

    Simon G Best wrote:
    > Jim Fischer wrote:
    > [...]
    >

    >> So to the OP: If compliance with the current ISO/IEC C/C++ standards
    >> is what you are interested in, then you should download, build, and
    >> install the most current release of the GNU Compiler Collection [GCC]
    >> (which is GCC 3.3 as of today). Here's the address of the GCC web site:
    >>
    >> http://gcc.gnu.org

    > But in the meantime, there's GCC 3.0.4, which comes with RedHat 7.2 (in
    > RPM package 'gcc3'). (The C++ compiler in it is called 'g++3'.)

    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I seem to recall that the
    early GCC 3.x releases had some "issues". So instead of installing GCC
    3.0.x, I recommend that the OP download, build, and install GCC 3.3.

    <OT>
    To the OP: DO NOT download and install RPMs that have newer releases of
    GCC. Doing so will remove the original GCC installation, and this, as I
    mentioned before, will break your Linux box. So I recommend you download
    the GCC 3.3 "tar ball" directly from the GCC web page (gcc.gnu.org) and
    then build/install that. For additional help with configuring, building,
    and installing GCC 3.3 along side your existing version of GCC (i.e.,
    the version of GCC that was installed with your RH 7.x distro), ask for
    assistance in the 'gnu.gcc.help' newsgroup.
    </OT>

    --
    Jim

    To reply by email, remove "link" and change "now.here" to "yahoo"
    jfischer_link5809{at}now.here.com

    Jim Fischer, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Simon G Best

    BT Guest

    I like to thank all of you for your advice and assistance.
    Highly appreciated.

    Cheers.
    -BT

    BT, Jul 19, 2003