Re: extern declaration

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by gvkalra, Dec 30, 2010.

  1. gvkalra

    gvkalra Guest

    On Friday, December 31, 2010 1:49:29 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:
    > gvkalra <> writes:
    > > I meant - what made him/her use the old style ... ?

    > What are you talking about?
    >
    > When you post a followup, you need to quote some context from the
    > article you're replying to. Google Groups should handle this for you
    > (at one time it didn't, but the bug was corrected several years ago.)
    >
    > Don't assume that anyone reading your followup can easily see the
    > article to which you're replying.
    >
    > Also, you should remove any quoted material that's not relevant to
    > your followup. In particular, you shouldn't quote signatures (the
    > text following the "-- " line) unless you're actually commenting
    > on them.
    >
    > For good examples of this, see most of the articles in this
    > newsgroup.

    Am sorry for *bad* posting. I assumed Google Groups was handling it for me.

    Infact it was.

    But I just changed to the "new" Google groups and by default it didn't handle quoting the message.

    gvkalra, Dec 30, 2010

  2. gvkalra <> writes:
    > On Friday, December 31, 2010 1:49:29 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:

    [...]
    >> When you post a followup, you need to quote some context from the
    >> article you're replying to. Google Groups should handle this for you
    >> (at one time it didn't, but the bug was corrected several years ago.)

    [...]
    > Am sorry for *bad* posting. I assumed Google Groups was handling it for me.
    >
    > Infact it was.
    >
    > But I just changed to the "new" Google groups and by default it didn't
    > handle quoting the message.

    Oh, no!

    I just tried the "new" Google Groups interface. By default, it now
    *doesn't* quote the parent article when you post a followup. You have
    to click the "Quote original" link explicitly.

    It's not as bad as the old buggy Google Groups, but I can see this is
    going to cause serious problems.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Dec 30, 2010

  3. Keith Thompson <> writes:
    > gvkalra <> writes:
    >> On Friday, December 31, 2010 1:49:29 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:

    > [...]
    >>> When you post a followup, you need to quote some context from the
    >>> article you're replying to. Google Groups should handle this for you
    >>> (at one time it didn't, but the bug was corrected several years ago.)

    > [...]
    >>
    >> Am sorry for *bad* posting. I assumed Google Groups was handling it for me.
    >>
    >> Infact it was.
    >>
    >> But I just changed to the "new" Google groups and by default it didn't
    >> handle quoting the message.

    > Oh, no!
    >
    > I just tried the "new" Google Groups interface. By default, it now
    > *doesn't* quote the parent article when you post a followup. You have
    > to click the "Quote original" link explicitly.
    >
    > It's not as bad as the old buggy Google Groups, but I can see this is
    > going to cause serious problems.

    If you visit groups.google.com, you can post suggestions for the new
    interface. I've just done so. (You might need a Google/gmail account
    to do so.)

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Dec 30, 2010
  4. gvkalra

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 12/31/10 09:34 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > gvkalra<> writes:
    >> On Friday, December 31, 2010 1:49:29 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:

    > [...]
    >>> When you post a followup, you need to quote some context from the
    >>> article you're replying to. Google Groups should handle this for you
    >>> (at one time it didn't, but the bug was corrected several years ago.)

    > [...]
    >>
    >> Am sorry for *bad* posting. I assumed Google Groups was handling it for me.
    >>
    >> Infact it was.
    >>
    >> But I just changed to the "new" Google groups and by default it didn't
    >> handle quoting the message.

    > Oh, no!
    >
    > I just tried the "new" Google Groups interface. By default, it now
    > *doesn't* quote the parent article when you post a followup. You have
    > to click the "Quote original" link explicitly.

    It also appears to detach the reply from the parent thread (references
    header line gone) and add a Reply-To: header, which I didn't think was
    valid for NNTP.

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Dec 30, 2010