Re: EXTERNAL: Re: missing python-config and building python on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Damon Register, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. On 7/31/2012 11:49 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
    > On 1/08/2012 10:48 AM, Damon Register wrote:
    >> 1. though I have looked in a few readme files, I don't see instructions for
    >> installing what I have just built using MSVC. Where can I find the
    >> instructions for installing after building with MSVC?

    > There is no such process. In general, you can just run directly from the built tree.

    That is a bummer. That makes me more curious about how the Windows
    installer was made and how all the pieces were gathered together.

    > I'm afraid I don't know what python-config is. It appears it might be a reflection of how Python
    > was configured and build on *nix systems - if that is the case then it is expected that one does not
    > exist for Windows (as it doesn't use the *nix build chain).

    which means, I guess, that mingw is barely supported if at all.
    While it may be Windows, mingw/msys is a nice way to build many
    programs that are unix oriented. I suppose that just for fun I
    should try to build python on SuSE to see how it goes.

    >> 3. It seems that MSVC doesn't produce the .a library files needed for
    >> linking
    >> into a mingw built program. Do I have to do that fun trick to
    >> create the
    >> .a from the dll?

    > I'm surprised MSVC *can* build .a files for mingw - but AFAIK, even if MSVC could do that, I believe
    > Python makes no attempt to build with support for linking into mingw programs.

    I don't know that MSVC can do this. The only process of which I am aware is a
    two step process using pexports and dlltool to generate the .a file from a dll.
    One reason I was using the python.org installer is that it already had the
    python27.a file. Now I am even more curious about what was used to build python
    and create that installer.

    The python.org installer provided all I needed for build most python dependent
    apps with mingw until I ran into one that needed python-config. I suppose that
    if python-config does what I suspect it does (produce cflags and ldflags as
    does pkg-config) then perhaps I could just fake it by replacing use of
    python-config with what the cflags and ldflags should be for where I have
    python.

    Damon Register

    Damon Register, Aug 1, 2012