Re: Fast forward-backward (write-read)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Emile van Sebille, Oct 24, 2012.

  1. On 10/23/2012 4:35 PM, emile wrote:

    > So, let's see, at that point in time (building backward) you've got
    > probably somewhere close to 400-500Gb in memory.
    >
    > My guess -- probably not so fast. Thrashing is sure to be a factor on
    > all but machines I'll never have a chance to work on.

    I went looking for a machine capable of this and got about halfway there
    with http://www.tech-news.com/publib/pl2818.html which allows up to
    248Gb memory -- near as I can tell the price for the maxed out system is
    $2,546,200. Plus $3k/mo maintenance. Memory's still not quite enough,
    but I'll bet it's fast. And a lot more reasonable at $1000 per Gb of
    memory particularly when contrasted to the $1000 I paid for a single Mb
    of memory back in 1984 or thereabouts.

    Emile

    Emile van Sebille, Oct 24, 2012

  2. Emile van Sebille

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Emile van Sebille <> writes:
    >> probably somewhere close to 400-500Gb in memory....

    > I went looking for a machine capable of this and got about halfway
    > there with http://www.tech-news.com/publib/pl2818.html which allows up
    > to 248Gb memory -- near as I can tell the price for the maxed out
    > system is $2,546,200. Plus $3k/mo maintenance.

    1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101317
    @ $1400

    + 8x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239276
    @ $658

    + 4x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113036
    @ $520

    + 2x

    = $8744 for a 64-core box with 512GB of ram. Add another $1000 or so
    for disks/SSD's depending on configuration. Not bad. There were times
    I coulda used something like this.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 24, 2012