Re: fastest i/o

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by flekso, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. flekso

    flekso Guest

    "Mr. 4X" <> wrote in message
    > "flekso" <> wrote:
    >
    > > which are faster stream / low-level i/o functions? specifically
    > > interested in read. (does sector size penalty still apply when using
    > > _read?)

    > Low level funcs will be system speficic (OT here), and may even be

    SLOWER,
    > if the C functions use some kind of buffering and the low level funcs
    > don't.
    >
    > > thank you

    but modern hdds already have >2mb buffer by themselves

    flekso, Jul 11, 2003

  2. flekso

    Mr. 4X Guest

    "flekso" <> wrote:

    > "Mr. 4X" <> wrote in message
    >> "flekso" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > which are faster stream / low-level i/o functions? specifically
    >> > interested in read. (does sector size penalty still apply when using
    >> > _read?)

    >> Low level funcs will be system speficic (OT here), and may even be

    > SLOWER,
    >> if the C functions use some kind of buffering and the low level funcs
    >> don't.
    >>
    >> > thank you
    >> >

    > but modern hdds already have >2mb buffer by themselves

    If buffering is already done at 'HDD level' then maybe the OS/compiler file
    I/O functions will be only very little more complex than the low level
    ones, and the speed difference could be almost undetectable. But the higher
    level functions might have extra features: something like the drive JOINing
    was on DOS, 'symlink' support, etc.

    If I/O speed is very critical, then it may help if you can somehow prevent
    the file from being 'fragmented' (i.e. different parts are scattered all
    over the HDD or whatever storage media). I don't know how that can be done,
    and that's VERY OFF TOPIC here :)

    Mr. 4X, Jul 11, 2003