RE: favorite python web development tool?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ben Last, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Ben Last

    Ben Last Guest

    Whilst not in any way whatsoever wishing to prompt or contribute to a
    BestWebEnvironment holy war:
    I'm currently approaching the end of a sizeable website development in Zope.
    I found it to be a very powerful environment which is *extremely* badly
    documented and requires a *significant* investment in learning time. I'm
    not new to Python, and that was very useful to me, since I ended up in the
    source code of the various Zope components many, many times. If you *are*
    new to Python, I would tentatively suggest that Zope is suitable only if
    your first development is not mission critical or subject to tight time
    pressure. I don't regret choosing Zope as far as suitability is concerned,
    but I do believe I underestimated how weak the documentation and support is,
    and how difficult it would be to work in.

    This is, I repeat, merely my subjective opinion. I have not undertaken a
    careful assessment of Zope vis-a-vis other environments, and the criteria by
    which I selected it were specific to the particular problem domain and
    company.

    regards
    ben

    Ben Last, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Ben Last

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Ben Last wrote:

    > I'm currently approaching the end of a sizeable website development in Zope.
    > I found it to be a very powerful environment which is *extremely* badly
    > documented and requires a *significant* investment in learning time. I'm
    > not new to Python, and that was very useful to me, since I ended up in the
    > source code of the various Zope components many, many times. If you *are*
    > new to Python, I would tentatively suggest that Zope is suitable only if
    > your first development is not mission critical or subject to tight time
    > pressure. I don't regret choosing Zope as far as suitability is concerned,
    > but I do believe I underestimated how weak the documentation and support is,
    > and how difficult it would be to work in.
    >
    > This is, I repeat, merely my subjective opinion.

    Though it is one that others share, me included. I don't regret the
    time we spent using Zope, but we moved past the point where the
    investment (time, learning, etc) required to work with it was paid
    back by the gains.

    I will say that in our case we later concluded that Zope was not
    the best fit for the job at hand... but we weren't doing anything
    that could really be called "content management" so the fault might
    be more ours than Zope's.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 18, 2004