Re: Feeding long input to showDocument: any way to use POST?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:55:16 -0500, Mickey Segal wrote:

    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message

    (JVM Clean)
    >> ...it will leave your 1.1 clients
    >> high and dry. :-(

    > I imagine we will support the MS JVM for many years; indeed
    > we still use it for demos because nothing else in common use is as fast for
    > the AWT/GUI displays.

    OK. If I _do_ come up with some ideas for
    making the MSVM safe that could still work
    for signed projects, I'll make sure to let
    you know.

    Oh, and sorry, I seem to have hi-jacked
    your thread here.. (ducks)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Mickey Segal Guest

    > Oh, and sorry, I seem to have hi-jacked
    > your thread here.. (ducks)

    To restore the focus, I have gotten our applet to POST the string to the
    servlet's doPost method, which returns a code number to the applet, which
    uses the number in a showDocument URL that is processed by the servlet's
    doGet method. The strings are held temporarily as instance variables of the
    servlet. It works fine, with the drawback of the user needing to be online.

    I've fiddled with William Brogden's approach of using Java-JavaScript
    communication, but as far as I can tell that works for situations in which
    the applet and the output are on the same page, not for situations in which
    the applet must pop up a new page using showDocument. But I'm still not
    sure; it may be that my understanding of JavaScript or what Brogden is doing
    is deficient.
    Mickey Segal, Apr 2, 2004