Re: Fibonacci program

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Michael Wojcik, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. In article <>, "Richard" <> writes:
    > >> The thing about Columbus is that he was wrong.

    > In fact, it is probable that he didn't even discover anything.

    In _Cod_, Mark Kurlansky presents strong evidence that plenty of
    Europeans knew about the "New World" when Colon "discovered" it, and
    in fact that many of them were quite annoyed at his letting the
    aristocracy in on a mercantile secret.

    If memory serves, he cites a letter to Colon from Giovanni Caboto
    ("John Cabot", when he was working for the English) to that effect.
    Caboto, presumably, saw which way the wind was blowing (he was a
    sailor, after all) and decided to get into the "discovering" business
    himself.

    I'd provide citations but I'm not sure where my copy has swum off to.

    In _The Basque History of the World_, Kurlansky presents evidence
    that regular Basque visits to North America likely predated Colon's
    voyage by about a century. He gives little credence to the idea
    that the Basques beat the Vikings to North America, but unlike the
    Vikings, the Basques were regular visitors and likely had permanent
    settlements in Newfoundland. (56-60)

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Thanks for your prompt reply and thanks for your invitatin to your
    paradise. Based on Buddihism transmigration, I realize you, European,
    might be a philanthropist in previous life! -- supplied by Stacy Vickers

    Michael Wojcik, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Michael Wojcik

    Guest

    Michael Wojcik wrote:

    > > In fact, it is probable that he didn't even discover anything.

    > In _Cod_, Mark Kurlansky presents strong evidence that plenty of
    > Europeans knew about the "New World" when Colon "discovered" it, and
    > in fact that many of them were quite annoyed at his letting the
    > aristocracy in on a mercantile secret.

    What was the secret? What were the merchants secretly getting from
    the New World that nobody was aware of? Gold? Slaves? Tobacco? Rum?
    A shortcut to the Orient?

    > If memory serves, he cites a letter to Colon from Giovanni Caboto
    > ("John Cabot", when he was working for the English) to that effect.
    > Caboto, presumably, saw which way the wind was blowing (he was a
    > sailor, after all) and decided to get into the "discovering" business
    > himself.
    >
    > I'd provide citations but I'm not sure where my copy has swum off to.
    >
    > In _The Basque History of the World_, Kurlansky presents evidence
    > that regular Basque visits to North America likely predated Colon's
    > voyage by about a century. He gives little credence to the idea
    > that the Basques beat the Vikings to North America, but unlike the
    > Vikings, the Basques were regular visitors and likely had permanent
    > settlements in Newfoundland. (56-60)
    >
    > --
    > Michael Wojcik
    >
    > Thanks for your prompt reply and thanks for your invitatin to your
    > paradise. Based on Buddihism transmigration, I realize you, European,
    > might be a philanthropist in previous life! -- supplied by Stacy Vickers

    , Oct 24, 2005

  3. (Michael Wojcik) writes:

    >> In fact, it is probable that he didn't even discover anything.

    > In _Cod_, Mark Kurlansky presents strong evidence that plenty of
    > Europeans knew about the "New World" when Colon "discovered" it, and
    > in fact that many of them were quite annoyed at his letting the
    > aristocracy in on a mercantile secret.

    [snip]

    Michael, I presume you didn't actually intend to post a followup to an
    article in comp.lang.cobol to comp.lang.c.

    (Some might question the topicality in either group.)

    Keith Thompson, Oct 24, 2005
  4. In article <>, (Michael Wojcik) writes:

    Damn. Posted to the wrong newsgroup again. Clearly, it's time to
    take a few minutes to hack xrn to work around Newsguy's broken
    server.

    Sorry about that.

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Michael Wojcik, Oct 25, 2005
  5. In article <>, Keith Thompson <> writes:

    > Michael, I presume you didn't actually intend to post a followup to an
    > article in comp.lang.cobol to comp.lang.c.

    I did not, and as penance I'll fix my newsreader today.

    > (Some might question the topicality in either group.)

    comp.lang.cobol is scarcely better than alt.folklore.computers for
    remaining topical.

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Michael Wojcik, Oct 25, 2005