RE: file names longer than MAX_PATH under Windows 2003

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Sergey]

    | "Tim Golden" <> wrote in
    | message news:...
    | [Sergey]
    |
    | >But note that r prefix to the string. Is it possible
    | >that your string didn't include it? If not, then the
    | >backslash character which Windows uses as a separator
    | >can be stolen by Python which sees it as an escaping
    | >character.
    |
    | It's ok with backslashes, I don't use r'', but double them so
    | string is correct:
    | \\?\e:\files\........

    Not to state the obvious, but can you cut-and-paste that long
    string (the one starting with \\?\e:\...) from the Python
    interpreter into the tart [R]un [O]pen field to see what
    comes up? I'm just trying to make sure of the most straightforward
    fact: that the file you've got there definitely does exist!

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk
    Tim Golden, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Tim Golden

    Sergey Guest

    "Tim Golden" <> wrote in message news:...
    [Sergey]

    >Not to state the obvious, but can you cut-and-paste that long
    >string (the one starting with \\?\e:\...) from the Python
    >interpreter into the tart [R]un [O]pen field to see what
    >comes up? I'm just trying to make sure of the most straightforward
    >fact: that the file you've got there definitely does exist!

    I cannot do this: when I paste filename there, trail of filename is missing due to length limit in input line.
    But I strongly suppose that file exists as its name was get through os.listdir.
    Sergey, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Tim Golden

    Sergey Guest

    "Tim Golden" <> wrote in message news:...
    [Sergey]

    >Not to state the obvious, but can you cut-and-paste that long
    >string (the one starting with \\?\e:\...) from the Python
    >interpreter into the tart [R]un [O]pen field to see what
    >comes up? I'm just trying to make sure of the most straightforward
    >fact: that the file you've got there definitely does exist!

    Sorry, it was my error - there was extra backslash in the middle of path.
    \\?\path works OK.
    Sergey, Feb 14, 2006