Re: File...Open in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Spencer, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. You would have to write an ActiveX Control, Java applet, or .Net Windows
    Form to embed in the page to do this.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    The more I learn, the less I know.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Kevin,

    Any samples that i can look at ?

    Thanks,

    Tapasvi

    Tapasvi Mehta, Aug 27, 2003

  3. There may be some out there somewhere. I don't know, as I've never needed
    this functionality.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 27, 2003
  4. This is the functionality i want, and that is why i can't
    use HtmlInputFile.

    1) Using that button, the user will point to the file, and
    after selection of the file, the code will update few
    fields on the screen like name, date & time, folder from
    which it was selected, and opens a connection to the VSS
    database to fetch the latest label, and date time, and
    then compare it with the file system date & time.

    2) The user can select the button from any of the fields
    on the screen, not just the file name field.

    Is it possible to do all this with HtmlInputFile control ?

    Thanks,

    Tapasvi

    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputFile control?

    >Seems simple enough,
    >Ben
    >

    >"Tapasvi Mehta" <> wrote in

    message

    Tapasvi Mehta, Aug 27, 2003
  5. It is part of an ASP.NET application, so i have no choice
    to goto windows application just for one form.

    Finally i am thinking of writing a JavaScript code for
    file selection, and then code behind for VSS data search.

    Hope it works out.

    Thanks, Tapasvi

    you don't want to
    >simply write a Windows Forms application? This is

    unsuitable for an ASP.NET

    Tapasvi Mehta, Aug 27, 2003
  6. All users share a common folder from the same server,
    where the file structure exists. That way either through a
    client code or a server code (code behind using
    DirectoryInfo trying to read a share drive and populate it
    for the user )....

    Thanks,

    Tapasvi

    message
    >> so there is no facility like File open dialog box in
    >> VB.NET in ASP.NET. Will try to do it to see how it

    works.

    >How could there be one? You want the server to display a

    dialog on the
    >client? It can't. The web has a request/response

    architecture and there is
    >in general no connection between the client and the

    server except during a

    Tapasvi Mehta, Aug 27, 2003