Re: file parsing

Discussion in 'C++' started by Pete, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Please excuse my ignorance.....but what does it mean to parse a file?

    Pete, Aug 6, 2003

  2. "Pete" <> wrote...
    > Please excuse my ignorance.....but what does it mean to parse a file?

    Generally, as my understanding of it goes, parsing is separating
    some collection (or stream) into individual items (often called
    "tokens") and then interpreting each token depending on conditions
    set forth in the algorithm. For example, parsing a C++ source file
    would include figuring out the sequence of tokens (done at the
    preprocessing step) and then making sense out of those tokens. It
    is done by the compiler, it is done by many text editors nowadays
    (those who colour the tokens differently when displaying the code,
    so called "syntax highlighting"), it is done by separate syntax
    and logical error checkers (PCLint or something like that)...

    In the OP's case parsing is reading the individual numbers and the
    empty lines, storing the numbers somewhere and interpreting the
    empty lines as special separators.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 6, 2003