Re: filename.gif or filename.gif.jpg?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 30, 2008.

  1. Guy Macon wrote:

    > Here is a weird one...

    Author error. <g>

    > On this webpage...
    >
    > http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpmanual/topics/Manual123.html
    > If you right click the Icon and look at the properties, it says that
    > it is a .gif named thought16.gif
    >
    > If you try to "save Image As", it only allows you to select .jpg and
    > saves it as thought16.gif.jpg

    The file is named ".gif" but it is really a ".jpeg" file.
    http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpmanual/images/thought16.gif
    JPEG Image
    0.43 KB (445 bytes)
    15px × 15px

    Several of the others are also misnamed JPEGs. Use Firefox's "Page
    Information" tool, Media tab, to see what type they really are.
    Right-click > Properties shows the same in my Firefox, Mozilla/5.0 (X11;
    U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 30, 2008

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Guy Macon wrote:

    > The file is named ".gif" but it is really a ".jpeg" file.
    > http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpmanual/images/thought16.gif
    > JPEG Image
    > 0.43 KB (445 bytes)
    > 15px × 15px
    >
    > Several of the others are also misnamed JPEGs. Use Firefox's "Page
    > Information" tool, Media tab, to see what type they really are.
    > Right-click > Properties shows the same in my Firefox,

    What is important to realize is that the file extension as the
    determination of file type is a "Windows" thing. Other OSs and with
    webservers it is not used. With the webserver it is the content type in
    the header that is important. The filename could be "anything", literally

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO