    From: Anand Pillai [mailto:p]
    Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 8:36 AM
    Subject: Find out if a host is alive

    I would like to add a feature to one of my network programs.
    The requirement is to find out if a server is alive by sending
    it requests. I know of the standard ICMP ping, and searched
    for python modules able to 'PING'. The only hit I got was Jeremy
    Hiltons ping package, written for Python 1.4, and it does not
    work with the latest Python versions (2.0 upwards).

    Are there other ways of finding out (in a few lines of code)
    whether a server is alive, apart from the ICMP protocol?

    Thanks for your help.

    -Anand

    Robert Brewer, Oct 4, 2003