Re: Finite state machine in python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    > I have see some discussion on the implementation of finite
    > state machine in python. Can somebody point to me the best way
    > in implenting an FSM in python?

    To offer a "best way" requires knowing more about what you're
    trying to accomplish. Are you looking for just some fixed
    states? are you looking to dynamically adjust the available
    states? Is this workflow for a single user, or is it for
    multiple users? A FSM merely involves a list of states and the
    transitions between them. You can augment the states and/or the
    transitions with additional metadata. You can store your states
    in fixed internal hard-coded structures, or you can store them in
    a file/database that can grow external.

    I posted information on doing this with a SQL-ish database
    (whether sqlite or whatever) a while back, so you can see a more
    "complex" version of tracking this info:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general/624448

    Hope this gives you some ideas from which to choose an option
    that's "best" for your needs.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Sep 13, 2009