Re: First attempt at a Python prog (Chess)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 15/02/2013 11:22, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
    > Why not make board a list of lists. Then you can do:
    >
    > for row in board:
    > for piece in row:
    >
    > rather than using range().
    >
    > Or perhaps you could have a dict that maps position tuples to pieces,
    > e.g.: {(1, 2): 'k', ...}

    I'm laughing slightly here because, at the monthly London Python
    Dojo, we often find ourselves implementing board-game mechanics
    of one sort or another: Boggle, Battleships, Sliding block,
    Connect 4, Noughts-and-Crosses, even things like Game of Life
    (which has a board of sorts).

    And the "how shall we represent the board?" question is pretty
    much the first thing any team asks themselves. And you always
    get someone in favour of lists of lists, someone for one long
    list, someone who likes a string, someone (me) who likes a sparse
    dict keyed on coords, someone else likes nested defaultdicts,
    and occasionally more outlandish schemes.

    We even went to the extent of having a Dojo a few months back
    which was solely about implementing the ideal board for varying
    characteristics, but we didn't come to any conclusions :)

    (Also I seem to remember that the OP was advised earlier precisely
    to abandon lists of lists in favour of something else).

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Feb 15, 2013