Re: First attempt at a Python prog (Chess)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 15/02/2013 15:49, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > I'm sorry, I don't follow. People forgot that x comes before y, like
    > it does in everything algebraic? Or is it that people lost track of
    > which axis you called 'x' and which you called 'y'?

    > On 15/02/2013 16:48, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
    > Surely you knew to have f1(board, x, y) for getting whatever is at
    > (x,y) and f2(store, x, y, wev) for putting wev at (x,y). Why didn't
    > you do that?

    To be honest I don't remember exactly what we did get confused
    over; it was probably whether our origin was top left and/or
    whether we were storing in row or in column order. But in any
    case, my experience is that stuff which is perfectly easy to
    reason about and write as Jussi has above when you're just
    coding quietly on your own becomes a confused ball of mess as
    soon as you're part of a Dojo team with 60 minutes to come up
    with a solution. (Not saying that we couldn't have managed better;
    merely that we didn't).

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Feb 15, 2013