Re: First attempt at a Python prog (Chess)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:36:43 +0000, Tim Golden <>

    > I'm laughing slightly here because, at the monthly London Python
    > Dojo, we often find ourselves implementing board-game mechanics
    > of one sort or another: Boggle, Battleships, Sliding block,
    > Connect 4, Noughts-and-Crosses, even things like Game of Life
    > (which has a board of sorts).
    >
    > And the "how shall we represent the board?" question is pretty
    > much the first thing any team asks themselves. And you always
    > get someone in favour of lists of lists, someone for one long
    > list, someone who likes a string, someone (me) who likes a sparse
    > dict keyed on coords, someone else likes nested defaultdicts,
    > and occasionally more outlandish schemes.

    Ancient book
    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-P...TF8&qid=1360953438&sr=1-1&keywords=0810458209
    as I recall (mine is in a box at a storage facility 16 miles away) used
    a 10x10 board to implement a Checkers board. Since checkers move on the
    diagonal, it gave "overflow" guards on the boundaries and somehow made
    the addressing easier...
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/